What fish is this?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarlover13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am very curious as to what this fish is, i'm pretty familiar with most types of S.american cichlids. I was at pet smart for the purpose of buying fish food only
( i like to get fish from a non-chain store). But i glanced at the fish and was stunned by his beautiful colors. He was sold to me as a Jack Dempsy, (i know he isn't) i took advantage of this (they were only $4.99) anyways i was thinking maybe he was a green terror? Texas? Help me These are the best pics i could get DESCRIPTION- dark body color with almost black vertical bands, patches (dots) of blue coloring on cheeks and throughout the body. And the very tips of all the fins is a defined red color

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:
Pic is kinda dark but looks like a JD or JD hybrid. Definitely not a GT or Texas though

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks like a jd hybrid to me . its a really pretty fish tho ;)

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A JD, I have one that looks similar to yours

Pic is kinda dark but looks like a JD or JD hybrid. Definitely not a GT or Texas though

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So if it looks like a JD Hybid which i can see, is it worth more? Better than a regular JD? Id like to know more about these fish

It's a roccio octofasciata, not sure where everyone is getting the hybrid from, looks like your typical jack Dempsey to me

It's a roccio octofasciata, not sure where everyone is getting the hybrid from, looks like your typical jack Dempsey to me
Ive had many jack dempsys over the years, 2 currently in the same tank as this fish. They do not look the same. Never seen a JD with red coloring and dark bands on his body

Ive had many jack dempsys over the years, 2 currently in the same tank as this fish. They do not look the same. Never seen a JD with red coloring and dark bands on his body

All (or should I say almost all) JD have the red trim on the dorsal fin and a red tint to the tail and fins. Colors change on mood. Dark bands show when they are stressed which is understandable he is in a new tank with two other JD's As they grow some will have the tan forehead patch turn a maroon.

Looks nothing like Texas or Green Terror.

So if it looks like a JD Hybid which i can see, is it worth more? Better than a regular JD? Id like to know more about these fish

Hybrids of any kind of fish usually fetch less money most people aren't into them. I have seen some cool hybrids before but most of the time they turn out ugly.

The only hybrids that I see fetch more moneys are ones that have turned into there own line of fish (not quite sure how to say it) Flowerhorns, blood parrots, that kind of thing. Fish that have a following.

It's a blue acara. Orange/red stripe on dorsal fin, blue iridescent spots and the round marking in the middle of the back.

I've been looking at all kinds of pictures of both and I hav to agree on the blue acara

Dempsey. I own 2 blue acara and there are subtle differences to this, slightly different body shape and colours. I also had a juvenile JD and it was much more similar to that. I traded it once i knew what it was because i didn't want friction with my EBJD which i paid a lot for.

Colour wise, Blue acara are a mix of steel grey, medium blue colours and Dempseys are much darker, a mix of dark blue / almost black in places, both have the vertical bars, acara have orange colour on the fins and Dempseys have red.

Dempseys change a lot as they mature though and dont have the bars at fully mature, acara largely retain them.

I've owned acara and that is an acara. It even has the vertical bars.

Fish in question:

attachment.php

Fish A:
jack-dempsey-cichlid-2.jpg

Fish B:
blueAcara3.jpg

Now which looks closer?

Jack
lg-89582-jackdempsey.jpg

Blue acara
lg-89581-blue_acara.jpg

Here ya go op you decide You have a clear view of the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom