What is going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 45 gallon african cichlid tank. I did my testing yesterday and for some reason the nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia are up. So I did a 30% was change and vac. I read it again, and its about the same. Nitrites, nitrates and ammonia still up. I haven't done anything new with my tank. I haven't put any new fish in my tank. Nothing new. They've seemed happier than ever really.

There's either some issue I don't see or, last week when I cleaned it I'm wondering if I used too hot of water on the filter and filter media, could I have cooked the good bacteria out?? The tank has been up for 4-5 months since I put sand in it I believe so I'd think enough bacteria would be in the substrate and everything.

Or the only other thing I can think of is it sits in front of a window I open to get light into my plants and its been more sunny lately, could that do anything? I don't see any extra Algea than normal

My readings are:

Nitrates: 20

Nitrates: 1.0

Ammonia: .50

Ph: 7.0

I meant to take a picture but I was in a rush to get to work.

Ok. Yeah I won't do that again.... But my fish seem happy still so far.

You never rinse the filter pads with tap water, always ring them out in the siphoned tank water. You are likely going through a mini cycle now.

Thank you I did the same thing an was wondering why my ammonia is up! Now I know what the proper way is! Do you have any advice for me and the original poster as to how we deal with this mini cycle with fish in there?

Thank you I did the same thing an was wondering why my ammonia is up! Now I know what the proper way is! Do you have any advice for me and the original poster as to how we deal with this mini cycle with fish in there?

Water changes, water changes, water changes! Change and test until the ammo is in check.

Well from what I've learned ill prolly siffon the bottom out in a bucket and when I need to clean the filter ill rub it in the siffoned out bucket water. That's my best advice.

I have always been told not to over clean the tank. I vaccum 1/2 of the bottom one week and the other half 2 weeks later. Never all at once. Maybe I'm a little too cautious...

I have always been told not to over clean the tank. I vaccum 1/2 of the bottom one week and the other half 2 weeks later. Never all at once. Maybe I'm a little too cautious...

Majority of your good bacteria is built up in your filter. I read some where around 90% of all beneficial bacteria is in your filter.

Once the tank is cycled, you can change all filters without hurting your tank, right?

Once the tank is cycled, you can change all filters without hurting your tank, right?

Noooo your filter and your filter pad is the heart and lungs of your tank. Once you wash with tap water your pretty much resetting the tank You might not kill all the beneficial bacteria but you will have a mini cycle

Just filter. No washing. I have 3 filters. Stagger them when changing?

Just filter. No washing. I have 3 filters. Stagger them when changing?

Filter pad? I have 2 filters and 2 pads in each filter. I get one pad from each filter and clean them every other time I do water changes. Which is every two weeks. That way I don't wipe out all of the beneficial bacteria in a filter

Yes, filter pad. I got two filters. One has 2 pads the has one.

Yes, filter pad. I got two filters. One has 2 pads the has one.

You could clean one every week when you do your water changes. And when you get to the filter with one pad, after you wash it, swap it out with the filter with 2 pads.

Back
Top Bottom