What kind of rocks should I get for my African Cichlid Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishmanbrady

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Its a 55 gallon. I already have blue gravel, should I add on Crushed Coral on top? Or will I have to remove the Gravel, I plan on getting the fish on this upcoming Friday. The tank is almost done cycling, so would it ruin the cycle if I changed the gravel to crushed coral? What should I do? Thanks!

I don't believe it should hurt your cycle to change it now. It would be easier to change it now. Most of our BB is in your filter. There is a minimal amount in he gravel, plus in my experience, gavel is a nitrate factory. I could never get it completely clean. When I changed mine out, I vacuumed it for ever, and the water after I scooped out the gravel, the water looked like sewage. So if you want to do the change, do it before you stock it.

I would go with sand instead of crushed coral. You can put a media bad of cc in your filter if you want to buffer the ph. It is totally up to you though, if you want cc as a substrate go for it. It will hold a lot of food and poop in it though.

Back
Top Bottom