What to keep with my blue rams?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a 34g tank (Aqua one 620 tall) with the standard filter it comes with.
Tank has been cycled for a week now, so added 2 german blue rams today.

No idea of the sex of each one yet, they are only small.

Can any one please suggest some tank mates? I really like neon's, so was thinking of 10-20 of those.

Would prefer cleaner fish (so no guppies, mollies etc)

Suggestions would be much appreciated :)

Thanks ;)

Did your tank cycle for a week. Tank need to be cycle for at least 6 weeks. If you mean that this is the 7 week than you are good. If not your bleu German rams or not going to live long. I now the bleu rams I have know Idd what to put with it.

Neon fish wil go with it. But I read what confeusing me is you are saying your tank is cycle for a week now.

Sorry, no it completed cycling a week ago (took 7 weeks)

Have been reading online all day about how easily they die and am now worried. Water Params are fine, but will get some peat moss tomorrow to lower PH.

Think I will go with cardinal tetras, they like warmer water.

I think you should get some type of gourami and a school of neons or something like that. For the bottom, get some cool corys. They're nice and peaceful. Don't get any other cichlid! (besides maybe angels). Rams are too delicate to deal with any of their relatives. Stick with more of a community tank.

You wouldn't want to add anymore Dwarf Cichlids to that tank or Angels, just wouldn't be big enough. I would add 9-11 Tetra of some sort and 5 small Corydoras.

So the tank would be big enough for 5 corys?

Definitely not interested in any other cichlids or big fish.

My lfs doesn't usualy stock cardinals, but I think I'll get them to order some in for me- I have the tank set at 82f and I'm pretty sure thats too warm for neons.

So, 10 cardinal tetras and some corys. Done. Thankyou!

You could do 5 Panda Corys without any problems, I've kept loads of different Corys with my Rams without any problems. I've always found Rummynose Tetra look very good with Rams and Lemon Tetra, though you would probably only want to do 7 Lemons as they are a bigger Tetra. Biggest tip I can give you is don't overload your tank when keeping Rams and they will keep you amused for years.

Apastogramma agassizi dwarf cichlid best fish I have mine with tetras and they are great

Back
Top Bottom