Yellow Lab 'pacing'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave9365

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Yellow Lab has started 'pacing' up and down the tank...all water parameters are normal so it's not a sign of poor water quality.
Is this still a sign of him wanting to get to better water?
Or could it be a game with his reflection or something?
Might have to change the tank around so he feels like he's in a new place if it carries on

My lab did that for a while he stopped after a while, and they all do if after a WC sometime s

It could be stress related, is he one of the subdominant cichs in the tank? How longs he been in the tank? Silly question and i apologise if so but is your tank cycled?

I don't think it's stress and he said his water tested fine.

I don't think it's stress and he said his water tested fine.

Yeah i didnt miss the part where he said his results were ok. Water parameters are only one of a huge number of things that can cause stress. Pasing against the glass is definitely an idication of it, ive experienced it before a number of times and there was always an underlining cause. So until we get alittle more information there isnt much info to go on

True but the pacing thing I asked about on here a while ago and just giving him the answer I got, and like I said before I had a lab that was notorious for going up and down the glass all day lol I still have him and he has slowed down on it.

He could feel threatened in some way. Maybe hes trying to move further away from another male.

OP. What do you have in the tank? Do you notice if hes being chased and bullied more than others?

Yes he is sub dominant to the alpha male. Perhaps that is it. Maybe I'll quarantine the alpha male for a bit and let him settle back in before introducing the alpha back and then they can fight it out between themselves

If that was the case he would just TRY to hide and run when being chased most of the time its under a filter when they can't get away

Yes he is sub dominant to the alpha male. Perhaps that is it. Maybe I'll quarantine the alpha male for a bit and let him settle back in before introducing the alpha back and then they can fight it out between themselves

Well i wouldnt think removing the alpha male fpr a period will help. It would be better to leave them to it and if it becomes life threatening remove the aggressor. If hes throwing his weight around now, any other males or fish you add hes going to become aggressive and more than likely do the same thing. Keeping the bullied sub dominant male would be the better option as hes more likely to avoid conflict.

Cichlids arggghh.. why cant they just get along lol.

Good advice and dealing with there aggression is frustrating sometimes I'm I like that my tank boss isn't a complete a** but keeps things in order lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130912_161854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130912_161854.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 51
Have u tried moving your decor around?

+1 you could get more rocks, the more places to hide and escape from pursuers the better. Why not try laying out the decor so that when either fish looks down to the other end of the tank something obstructs there view from one another. Obviously it isnt going to stop them meeting in the tank, its so neither feel constantly threatened or have to be on guard or have to react to one another the whole time.

Hey all.. Sorry to jump on this thread but I want to share an experience. I just did a 60% water change on my 55 gal with convicts, jewels, and 4 yellow labs.. Several minutes after I noticed some of the labs laying on there sides breathing heavily. I noticed the temperature had gone from 80 to 86.. I was able to get it down but lost 3 labs in the process.. Anyone else noticed sensitivity In labs temperature wise?

Back
Top Bottom