10 gal AGA SPS and Zoa reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
posting alot is a good thing just choose your word a little more carefully. some people take offense even when it isnt intended. i ticked a few people off at first aswell but u will get used to phrasing it into a suggestion instead of a statement. u have to leave yourself room for error. u may think u always have the right answer(i know i do :) ) but often times u wont. u should definatly start your own thread though since this is getting a bit off topic. cant wait for pics. and i would love some updated pics on your tank aswell seedemtails!! and a little more detail on how your skilter works. i am intrigued.

Didn't mean to wander but what do you mean "skilter?"

And as far as what you suggested, I feel I have been very nice and all I have done is stated what I know. If you see something wrong you are helping by stating it and should not have to suger coat it and we will end it there before I get people going 8O

New people often search forums for information so in stating things that are correct (Which I am not always, I know) you are not only helping the original poster and members, but also future people that are new to the hobby.

lol your as tough as LR when it comes to arguing. i am far to lazy right now to fully explain myself though. as for the skilter... if u look at the 5th pic he posted he has what looks like a AC filter witha hole drilled to fit an airstone. i am guessing this acts as some kind of skimmer in combination with the filter... thus a skilter. i just have never come across this before and was very intrigued.

Maybe he can tell you how he did is, but I am sure if you look around on DIY ideas there is plenty of info.

Alot of people do nice work on DIY skimmers. I cant at all!

i understand the concept of attaching the air stone but i dont understand how to creat the crap collector(sorry for my technical terms)i guess u would need some kind of chamber seperate from the rest of the filter. i searched DIY skilter on google but didnt get any results. only mods for real skilters.

Dont stress it, you are better off having seperate quality performing units seperate. They do a better job, not that the "skilter" can not perform, but skimmers on their own are much more productive.

Then again if you are looking for the purpose of a nano a skilter is great because it is compact.

Isn't it funny how there are mods for everything? You would think that after you spend enough money you are done, but people always have a way to improve the job of equip.

That tank is SEXY!!!!! And what an accomplishment for a 10 gal! I know from my FW experience that smaller tanks mean more work to keep water parameters stable. And in SW it's even more of a task. BRAVO!!!!! That clam is outrageously boootiful! Could you direct me to a link or just give me basic info on the Orange Monti Digitata. I love it! I want to know: how aggressive? lighting needs? Water flow? hardiness? food? I'm setting up a 20 gal seahorse tank and am looking for some corals to put in there. I want to see if that one is a good choice. TIA. :)

Starfyre you should decide what species of sea horse you want to keep and then plan corals. That is very important or you will get yourself confused but that is for another thread. I would not recommend jumping into SPS as a new person to saltwater.

Tom,

I dont see how you think keeping a clam in a nano is irresponsible.

Technically everything we keep in our tanks for the most part will outgrow them. My acro will, if given enough time make colony big enough to fill my entire tank. Does this mean it is irresponsible to keep it? No.

As long as I can still remove the clam from the tank, which I can easily do as it is sitting on a peice of acrylic under the sand, they is no problem with it. I will take it to my LFS and let them put it in their 400 gal display when it gets too big. It will be years before this clam outgrows my tank.

Face it, a 4 inch clam dosesnt grow "inches" per year. Perhaps when the clam is 2' across I beleive that to be true, but not at a small size, things grow accordingly.

Quit trollin man.

And I beleive you your camera is broken, I really do. :roll:

All I was saying that a healthy Gigas Clam does grow inches per year, very fast.

You are the only ones that has been rude to me.--"Trolling" I dont think so

You just do not like to be told you are doing something wrong. If somebody tells me I am doing something wrong I am open to suggestions.

I am done with this thread, maybe now at least a new person will think twice before putting a gigas clam in a nano and I dont know how you do not agree, clams move!

That is like a Hippo Tang in a 10.

That is in no way shape or form like keeping a hippo tang in a 10 gal. That is a fish and it needs room to swim.

A clam is a generally sesile invertabrate. It doesnt care how much space it is in, as long as it isnt touching anything and has room to grow.

And a small clam like this may grow an inch in a year. Not inches.

And yes my friend you are trolling...you have more replys on this thread than I do. Half of them are negative...."Your acro isnt colorful enough"..."You are irresponsible for keeping a clam..healthy for a year"

The best one is "My camera is broken". :lol:

You can afford a reef tank but not a new camera?...I spend what a basic camera costs on my tanks in one week!

Ok well I am sorry you took it that way, after I stated my opinion I said you did a great job. I think it was important beacuse who knows how many people will see this and think they can keep all SPS under PC's. Gigas clams, maybe you should do some research.

And you are very unsulting at the least and I will not waste my time on your thread anymore believe me, I have thousands into my reef tank but I am not rich and spent alot on Christmas being a single dad and I dont see what business that is of yours...Are you saying I do not have a tank up?

Quote from the web
"Growing at a possible rate of three to four inches a year."

OK, ok, please be civil. Both of you have your opinions. We don't want to get in the habit of name calling or negative feedback (unless it's in the proper section). Sometimes, on the internet, we can't see the facial expressions or tone of voice. Just be careful of wording and we can all get along.

Quote from the web
"Growing at a possible rate of three to four inches a year."
lol here is the problem with that... another quote from the net

"i have successfully kept my reef tank going for years now with only 1-2 fish dying dying per month"

lots of stuff is said on the net. thats why we are very grateful to see actual people with actual experience. such as the original poster. he has kept his tank healthy. evrything has an expected growth rate. for example humas are supposed to grow at a certain rate ina year. i didnt grow at all for 2 years betwen the ages of 4-6. i was completly healthy and taken care of but i didnt grow. why is that? i guess there is no point in me asking becasue you will not be responding to this thread any more. anyways. great tank seedemtails. i will be getting a clam for my tank for sure :wink: lol

Here are some new shots. I have added more eagle eyes, a few green and red shrooms, and a yuma to the tank since the last pics. Ohh and the acro looks different because I turned it around.

IMG_3464.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3513.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

Can you take some pics of the clam closed up and from the side and closer? I'm wondering if the ID is correct, it doesn't look like a gigas to me, but it's hard to tell with juvenile clams and without closely inspecting the shell. LOL, it's also been a couple of years since I've done any research on giant clams.

SeeDemTails, what is that green, in the left side, on the last pic?!!??! I love it!

Back
Top Bottom