16G BowFront --> 29G Reef Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aww I'm so madd. I came home and he was catching a ride with one of my snails and just as I got my phone out to take a pic, he swam off :/ lol it was so cool tho

DanS180 said:
Aww I'm so madd. I came home and he was catching a ride with one of my snails and just as I got my phone out to take a pic, he swam off :/ lol it was so cool tho

I've been fragging polyps onto my empty turbo shells so when my hermits get big enough they'll get a nice decorative shell lol :)

Mrc8858 said:
I've been fragging polyps onto my empty turbo shells so when my hermits get big enough they'll get a nice decorative shell lol :)

Haha that'll be awesome!

DanS180 said:

Clown gobies are "clowns" in the BEST way!! As cool as hawkfish but perfect for mini reefs. In the top 5 best fish list for any reef IMO.

here he is!!! just chillin between 2 pieces of live rock :)

Attachments

• Green Clown Goby.jpg
    Green Clown Goby.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 83
I was gonna get one of those but for a 2 inch one he was like $30.. I was blown away lol so I just stuck with the little guy, he's like 3/4 inch big

DanS180 said:
I was gonna get one of those but for a 2 inch one he was like $30.. I was blown away lol so I just stuck with the little guy, he's like 3/4 inch big

That's the size of mine. Got him at Petco for 8.99 I believe.

Okay I'm really confused how this calcium test works.. Anyone care to explain it to me in an easier way lol

CorallineAlgae said:
If it's a Red Sea test you can find a great video on the BRS site. If it's API I think YouTube has a video.

Yeah its API, thanks I'll check it out

Ok here we go.. test results.
Calcium 380mg/L
kH 11° or 196.9ppm
Phos .25ppm
HR pH 7.8(dropped from 8.0?)
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

I know phosphate should be 0.. what can I do for that? Water changes?? And how would I raise calcium? Specific bottled ingredient to get??

DanS180 said:
Ok here we go.. test results.
Calcium 380mg/L
kH 11° or 196.9ppm
Phos .25ppm
HR pH 7.8(dropped from 8.0?)
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

I know phosphate should be 0.. what can I do for that? Water changes?? And how would I raise calcium? Specific bottled ingredient to get??

You could add a small fine mesh media bag of granular ferric oxide (GFO) inside the filter to absorb the phosphates. On a larger tank a GFO reactor is used. You shouldn't need to go that far. As long as the media bag is fine and not coarse it should do the job.

There are lots of ways to raise calcium. Just know that raising calcium can be different from maintaining it. I would use a liquid calcium chloride to raise it. To maintain it you could either use pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) in your top-off water which should maintain both calcium and carbonate hardness, or you could use a 2-part method. You can order everything on BRS.

This can be tricky for anybody. The really good news us your dKH is great. Only your calcium is low. Getting it up with calcium chloride is very easy. Maintaining it takes a little bit of learning. You could look up other threads on it and you may find a sticky or article on here about it. If not you could make a separate thread and get much more help from the many people here who have strong knowledge about this.

CorallineAlgae said:
You could add a small fine mesh media bag of granular ferric oxide (GFO) inside the filter to absorb the phosphates. On a larger tank a GFO reactor is used. You shouldn't need to go that far. As long as the media bag is fine and not coarse it should do the job.

There are lots of ways to raise calcium. Just know that raising calcium can be different from maintaining it. I would use a liquid calcium chloride to raise it. To maintain it you could either use pickling lime (calcium hydroxide) in your top-off water which should maintain both calcium and carbonate hardness, or you could use a 2-part method. You can order everything on BRS.

This can be tricky for anybody. The really good news us your dKH is great. Only your calcium is low. Getting it up with calcium chloride is very easy. Maintaining it takes a little bit of learning. You could look up other threads on it and you may find a sticky or article on here about it. If not you could make a separate thread and get much more help from the many people here who have strong knowledge about this.

You always know exactly what to say :) haha you're great!

Okay so GFO media bag for my filter for phosphates.. and what's pickling lime? Something I can just add to my bucket of top off water?? Guess I'll do a lil reading about maintaining calcium.

Back
Top Bottom