3 gal picotope (build thread!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been away for a while, super busy! Anyway, about the GSP, I moved a big section of it to the back of the tank, I don't want it to 'explode' in the front section lol. Also, since the main colony is currently only extending it's mat up the front wall, but not inwards towards the tank, I decided to let it grow for now.

I'm about to order some new coral, and in addition I'm going out of town to a place that I found out has all kinds of cool encrusting montis, such as Jedi mind trick, sunset, true reverse sunset (expensive!), and rainbow. I'm getting a bunch of zoas, some Duncan heads, more leathers, and an orange galaxia frag.

I'll post a pic or two soon of the revamped scape, with extra room for the new additions.

I've not been able to find reverse sunset anywhere! Makes sense it is expensive. Quite a hard coral to get a hold of. Sounds like a sweet place! :D

I've not been able to find reverse sunset anywhere! Makes sense it is expensive. Quite a hard coral to get a hold of. Sounds like a sweet place! :D

Should be a fun trip! I'll update when I go. Hopefully the shipped order will be arriving on Monday or Tuesday.

Is reverse sunset just more rare overall? It's $90 for a small frag at this place, I asked about it along with all the other montis.

Wow $90...it's rare but not that rare. I'd probably pay like $50 for a small frag. It should be green base with bright orange polyps. However all the ones you listed are awesome looking. Seasons greeting and sand dollar are nice montis as well

Where you going to put all those? You make Bribos tank look almost empty :D

Mostly just around the edges, in order of tallest to shortest, front to back. I'm trying to fill in various spots on the front rock face with zoas, and make the edges seem fuller. I did a bunch of work on the scape today, and picked up another tube of "coral glue".

Haha, I don't think there's any chance of having more coral than bribo, appreciate the compliment though :D. For the space, you guys have quite the diverse and densely populated tanks yourselves! I'm trying to get as much out (or in, I guess) of this tank, at only 3 gallons it looks full quickly (this is good and bad haha.)

Wow $90...it's rare but not that rare. I'd probably pay like $50 for a small frag. It should be green base with bright orange polyps. However all the ones you listed are awesome looking. Seasons greeting and sand dollar are nice montis as well

Hmmm.. the guy really made it sound like I would be getting a deal buying it, lol. That's definitely the one, it looks great in pics!

Right now I'm planning on the sunset and rainbow, $15 for a 1*2" frag of either one.

Hmmm.. the guy really made it sound like I would be getting a deal buying it, lol. That's definitely the one, it looks great in pics!

Right now I'm planning on the sunset and rainbow, $15 for a 1*2" frag of either one.

That's a good price for the sunset and rainbow :). Yeah anything over like $50-60 for a tiny frag is crazy. Idc how rare it is.

Glad to hear it :) also forgot to mention they have shamrock montis for $20

Ahh the tough decisions in life :D. That sounds like a good store I must say.

Should be a fun trip, but unfortunately I won't be going for a while, I just maxed out the coral for this tank (at least for now :p)

Ordered a load of coral :) I've spent a few days now planning out exactly how I'm going to fit them all, but it will still be a challenge! This list was copied directly from the site -- sorry about the WYSIWYG parts, I can't ID them but when they arrive I'll upload pics. Some of these looked really stunning in the site photos!

Should be here Wednesday!

List:
Duncan Coral (Per Polyp)
Blue Mondays Zoanthids
Green Finger Leather
(2) Orange Galaxea Coral Frag
WYSIWYG Zoanthids
WYSIWYG Zoanthid
Aussie Devils Hand Leather frag
WYSIWYG Zoanthids
UV Orange Mushroom)
Pinky Rings Zoanthids
Blue Acropora millepora Frag
WYSIWYG Zoanthids
WYSIWYG Zoanthids
Horn Coral Frag-Hydnophora

Noooo!! Not hydnophora...jk haha. Just keep it as far away from everything as you can!

Haha that's what I heard, but it just looks too cool, kind of like an acro :)

I picked out a special spot for it in the back of the tank, for now, where there is a small section of light that should be perfect, for flow and light.

Btw, the guy said the blue acro is mildly rare, is that true? I thought it would look nice and get enough light/flow on the "peak" of the main LR. It was $6 after discounts :)

The blue Mille? Nah I have one in my tank I just can't seem to grow :/. ORA came out with one too I believe. Nice colored Mille but not really rare.
And yeah hydnophora is like an acro...if acros murder everything they touch haha

Edit: I WILL be going to the store that has montis, still have room on the tank walls! I couldn't pass them up after learning so much about them.

The blue Mille? Nah I have one in my tank I just can't seem to grow :/. ORA came out with one too I believe. Nice colored Mille but not really rare.
And yeah hydnophora is like an acro...if acros murder everything they touch haha

Gotcha, good to know. And I had no idea hydnophora was such the demon, I'll definitely keep it in the back for now. Do you know much about their growth rate or pattern? Thanks for the help as always!

I've never kept hydno but I relieve it is a fast grower that branches but intermingles its branches. Like most branching sps though its quite easy to frag

Sorry to have been away so long, very busy!

Quick update:
- installed Hydor Smart level ATO w/ tom aqualifter
- coral is coming tomorrow!

Photo dump very soon, just have to upload everything and I'll post some pics!

Back
Top Bottom