5.5 pico reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The zoas sound good to me, but the FS sounds pretty overpriced.

I can get one head with tentacles out making it about 2" for $20, and my LFS is overpriced most of the time

Ok, I might buy the zoas this week or next week and see if there are bigger frogspawns. I just have to see because I get 50 buck just to watch an old ladies 92 gallon and in month I get the tank for free!

My clown had ich so I got sw ich medicine and now 3 hermits are dead witch at the time were laying eggs, 2 hermits that are very sick, and 2 snail that are sick! So sad and mad at the same time! Now I have to get more hermits and snails + sexy shrimp.

what did you treat with?? You should NEVER treat anything in the display tank, always have a separate tank for sick fish. You probably wont be able to get crabs or inverts anymore since the medicine absorbs into everything (tank, rock, sand) and stays around for a very very long time.

kms907 said:
what did you treat with?? You should NEVER treat anything in the display tank, always have a separate tank for sick fish. You probably wont be able to get crabs or inverts anymore since the medicine absorbs into everything (tank, rock, sand) and stays around for a very very long time.

I have nothing to say except that I want to kill that petco worker that told me that it was fine for reef display tanks!!!!

What was it that you treated with??

Sorry for your bad luck, I have a similar story. Our first tank broke out in brooklynella from a couple of clowns that we bought, so we got medicine and treated. Next thing we know all the inverts and corals are dying! We made some new saltwater in a bucket and moved everything dyeing to new water and things looked better. Then the heater sensor fell out of the bucket while we were gone, came home to a hot bucket of mush :(

I treated it with a lifeguard ich tablet. I'm going to get some new sand, and water, but when my clown was sick I had only 2 lbs of LR. Is the new 2 lbs LR infected, too?

It says that the LR and LS is fine but the inverts will die on there web site. Should I believe them? Should I replace just the water and sand because LR is 8 bucks for one lb. they also said that with carbon and pwc the medicine will be gone.

So if I did my math write I lost 71 bucks because of the medicine and 42 bucks from the livestock that got shredded. = 113 bucks lost in in 3 months! + evil filter 133 bucks! Not happy.

I think you might be lucky, that tab contains no copper. It still is not safe for inverts but i do not think it stays in the tank forever. Run some carbon in your filter to try to get as much medicine out as possible. I'll have to do more reading to see if it's permanent damage or not. If anyone else knows feel free to chime in pls :)

active ingredients are tetramethyl, chloro, and imidazolidinone. From what i read tetramethyl is a lead, i do not know if it can be absorbed/removed from the tank. Hope someone else comments cause i can't find much info sorry.

I have been running carbon the whole time. I'm going to the lfs tomorrow. To get a new cleaner crew and LS. Do you guys think that I should get some zoas and Xenia or wait awhile?

I went to the pet store today! A Featherduster and eagle eye zoas and LS.

Attachments

• image-40125235.jpg
    image-40125235.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 91
  • image-885898721.jpg
    image-885898721.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 101
Good news my zoas opened, bad news my clown just got ich again! I am going to put my coral and other things in my extra 2.5 tank. Nothing good happens to me.

I would move the clown to the extra tank, not the corals. Ich stays in the tank for a long time without a host, the clown will need to be removed for about 6 weeks if you want to make sure the tank is completely free of ich. You should do some more research on treating ich in saltwater aquariums, there are a lot of threads on here with tons of info about it.

I would get a larger tank than a 2.5 for treating though, possibly a 5 gallon or 10 if you can find.

If your clown is healthy and happy he should be able to fight off ich on his own without you medicating. The ich will still remain in the tank but he might build an immunity to it. Soaking your food in garlic guard before you feed helps and keeping up with water changes also helps a lot.

Back
Top Bottom