Any advice for first SW setup???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm setting up my first SW tank. I was going to wait and go big, until seahorses peaked my interest. I understand they do better in smaller tanks due to their inability to move fast to eat. So I started reading about a year and a half ago. I'm not new to the hobby. I currently have 6 FW setups. Two 1 gallon betta tanks, a 29 community,a 5 gallon housing a blue prawn, a 55 community, and a 29 planted with a pair of Blue Diamond discus. I just shut down two other tanks to make room for my new quest.
I have my new setup started. A 20g high, with a penguin biowheel, a seaclone 100 skimmer (which I'm regreting now, but it's already in use),and a 2 inch sand bed(bahama grand). As for lighting, a dual satellite 2x65w, 1 dual daylight, and 1 dual actinic, with a lunar light.
I just purchased 8 lbs of Live rock. I plan on adding more, however, I am picky; and to find all the right pieces could take some time. My plan for livestock consists of the usual turbo snails and cleaner shrimps, I'm not sure if I want to add hermit crabs?? I don't want them clipping at my horses.(Some feedback on that would be great!) I have my heart set on an electric flame scallop, and a blue linkia star. I would really like some sexy shrimp, but I've heard they can nibble at the starfish?? Is this true? I'm also looking for suggestions on other compatable sand sifters.
I also want soft corals...mainly polyps (buttons, yellow), and possibly a purple blue mushroom. I have not done any research on the mushroom. It was suggested to me recently by another experienced SW aquarist.(Feedback on this will be greatly appreciated!) Of course my seahorses, and in time a blue dragonette, in nine months to a year is what I'm figureing. I know they solely feed on copepods in very mature LR.
ANY suggestions are appreciated!!! I know my first SW venture is one of the most difficult tasks in fishkeeping and I should probably wait till I have more SW experience..blah blah blah. However, my heart and mind are set and the tank is up and running. I'm very excited and I figure if all else fails...I'll either have some very expensive pet rocks, or a hell of a planted tank with that kind of lighting!! :)

WELCOME TO THE SW SIDE!!!

Here is another member's Seahorse Diary http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=91589 you can find some great advice in reading that thread. I'm not too sure they would like a 20G, most seem more suited to 30G, but I could be wrong.
I am not really a fan of hermits. I don't think they would bother healthy seahorses, unless they are really big.
I can't find and documentation on a sexy shrimp eating stars (I would wait for other's advice/experience).
I like cerith and Nassarius Snails, for stirrin the sand. You might also look into a fighting conch.
Those flame scallops tend not to live too long in captivity.
Corals, I can't help you there.
The dragonette and seahorses both eat pods, so that may cause a problem.

After browsing thru other posts (this site is soooo helpful!!), I've decided to go with some nassarius snails in addition to the turbos, and possibly some ceriths. I'm still doing my homework on different inverts and the corals. I have heard that the scallops don't last long....but they're sooooooo cool. I was reading up on starfish last night. I read that the blue linkia can get as big as 1 foot! Is this true?? If so, is there any starfish that would be siutable for my tank? I've read that it's best to go with serpent seastars. Any recomendations would be great!

I finally got some pics of my new tank downloaded!!! There she is!
DCP02218.jpg

Thanx!! I thought I sized them bigger, but apparently not. I'll work on getting some bigger pics in here.

Back
Top Bottom