Anyone use Chemi-pure instad of GAC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've been hearing a lot of employess at my job and even customer talk about how great this Chemi-pure is so I figured I"d try some. Anybody use it or heard anytyhing about it? I know we sell a TON of it, but that doesn't always means it's a good product :p

I've been using it for 20+ years. Can't say what advantage it has over other high quality carbon, but it's convenient because of the mesh bag it's in. You don't need to empty the carbon to refill, just throw it away. Plus it is a mixed resin with carbon vs pure carbon.

It also says on the container it is good for up to 6 months, is this really true?

jamal-188 said:
It also says on the container it is good for up to 6 months, is this really true?
Depends on the bioload of the tank and what additions you make chem wise. Personally I would not let it sit that long. I have a moderate fish load and I will replace my chemi-pure every 2 months. I also do not use the recommended amount for my tank size either. One large bag for the 90 and one small bag for the 27.

I would still suggest you rinse it 2-3 a month in SW to free up any trapped detritus.

Cheers
Steve

Steve is definitely more knowledgable than I am regarding this hobby, but I kind of do the opposite with no bad results. I use 3 large bags in my 90g FOWLR, 2 large bags in my 29 mini-reef & 1 large bag in my 12g nanocube. With the exception of the nanocube, I run the Chemipure through Fluval canisters for optimum contact with the water and carbon & I change them out as per the directions of 6 months.

You can use as much or as little as you feel will benefit the tank. I do not think there is any one correct way. Personally I rarely take manufacturer claims for face value though....

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom