Bio Cube 14 Gal Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FriscoTX

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm a noob to reefs, so I could use some criticism. Anything you would change or add?

Filtration:
1st compartment: removing the stock filter and replacing w/ a mesh bag of Purigen
2nd compartment: removing the bio balls and replacing with LR rubble
3rd compartment: keeping the stock powerhead and adding 50w heater (cheapo from Walmart)

Substrate: 7 lbs of LS from an established aquarium
Reef: 21 pounds of mix Tonga-Fusion, Fiji rock

I'll attack the plan of fish and all that later, right now I just want to get to where the tank is cycling.

Phase 1 - filled the tank w/ tap water and letting it run for 2 days. Mixing salt water tonight and letting it sit till tomorrow night and will ad it to the tank tomorrow night.

Sounds goood to me. Are you going to be using tap water or RO water? If you are going to use tap, there is no reason why you can't mix the salt with the water that is already in the tank. Would save you a lot of work anyways.

Only other thing I would do personally is add more sand. Gives your rocks a little more cushion to sit on and a little bit thicker sandbed. Again, only my personal opinion. I'd add about 10 more pounds of sand and make around a 2 inch thick sand bed. You can add dry aragonite sand on the bottom and the livesand on the top, which will make the bottom sand live over time.

Can't wait to see pictures :)

I went the cheap route w/ Distilled water - I'll take that sand thing into consideration, I was going for about 1 inch of substrate.

Sounds like a good plan. I am a fan of chemi-pure over Purigen, but both will work fine. Also not a bad a bad idea to add a layer of PURA or POLY filter over the bag. Stuff as much LR rubble in the filtration compartments as you can. You may also consider adding a second small powerhead inside the tank to contribute to the flow from the return pump. I have a 12gal nanocube and added a small PH for more chaotic flow.

They are both brands of "filter floss" media. Do a search for PURA filtration pads or POLY FILTER pads. Both are very good. They combine chemical and mechanical filtation in one pad.

My Actnic light is 24 watts, that's just 1.7 wpg - is that enough for reef? I guess if I plan to have any cool corals, I would need something brighter, where could I look for those kinds of lights? Is that recomended in a nano?

I believe the biocube comes with two 24watt CF bulbs. Not sure if they are 50/50 bulbs or one actinic and one daylight. If, indeed, you do have a total of 48watts of light you should be able to keep some softies and LPS corals.

Since I posted that I figured that out...thanks.

What I'm wondering now is where to put that heater? Should I fill up tank3 and put it in there, would that be enough?

Also, I've put the saltwater in but there is still salt sediment in the bottom of the tank. I probably should have mixed it prior to putting it in the tank, but oh well..should I just siphon that up?

Just let it sit, it will dissolve. Some batches of salt do have residue left over, and some do not, so a little but is normal in my opinion.

The heater sounds good in the third compartment. :)

would their be enough light for a bubble tip anenome? I get the feeling it may not be high enough - I figure that their is prob ably about 10 gal in the main tank so that would put me at 4.8 wpg

I think Anenomes need big, well established tanks. I've heard they are not good for nanos because they are particular about water quality.

What I'm wondering now is where to put that heater? Should I fill up tank3 and put it in there, would that be enough?
I put mine in the filtration compartment...

Attachments

• uploadable_pics_002_203.jpg
    uploadable_pics_002_203.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 27
nice pic, I've noticed that #3 doesn't hold much water...these lights keep the tank plenty warm though. I'm in Texas and the temp hasn't come off of 77 yet...

I may pull the heater and watch it for a bit before I put the rock in - I still have yet to do that LOL

The Rock is In!

Me and my little boys put the rock in last night. They had a ball helping me create the aquascape. I feel pretty good about the look. The only thing I'm questioning is the 3 inches of live aragonite, I may should cut that back some.

IMG_3032.JPG

Dam bud I am in texas also that nano is awesome. It will look really cool when you get some fish in it good job.

Looks great! The substrate depth is a matter of personal preference. IMHO, 3 inches is just fine.

Back
Top Bottom