bio cube set up help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
folks,
Bought the cube today--50w heater -Instant ocean 20lb sea salt-hydrometer-15lb Carib Sea Argonite (aragamax select) looks like beach sand
They had a product there that said it was Argonite but was VERY rough and looked like crushed shells--they called it Puca ? Sales girl there that has 2 saltwater tanks said if you get any creature that buries itself whole or half the shell stuff was too rough--(I like the rough look though!!)
she said other pet stores sell smaller bags and I could mix some rough and the fine Argonite.
Next question-water--Went to WalMart on recommendation but didnt see any 5gal bottles of purified water --they did have 1 gal jugs of distilled water.
Wheres the best place to get 20 gals of purified water? My intention is to pre mix 20 gallons, use 14g for the tank and 5g for PWC. (I understand some folks top off weekly with distilled water)
I alos have to start the tank mods---Any help is apprecited!!
Thanks
Cliff--NY

you could do that with the sand if you wanted.

the water you're looking for is a machine that you place a jug under it, and fill it then. couldnt really explain any other way.

i wouldnt use distilled, it has too much taken out.

folks-thanks for responses! They did have bags crushed coral also-this was very tiny bits of sea shells but the name on bag was Argonite --little label said "puca"
Ok--so its machine by walmart? likely frozen water--its 8 degrees here today!
NY-thanks

Her is what I did with mine.

Remove elbow from back of bulkhead and connect pump directly to it with little larger tubing. Increases flow.

I saw a decrease in phosphate after adding a fuge to the middle chamber and filled with cheato. Lit from the back with Wal-mart CF bulb

Media Rack - Egg crate super glued together so you can run different types of media simple DIY

Block off 3-4 grates of lower intake. Either with black silicone before adding water or with clear hard plastic after the fact (like from a cassette case or cd case) Aides in surface skimming. Was getting green film on top of water prior to this mod and the next

Block off 3-4 grates of the upper intake. Same effect as above.

Fill chamber 2 and 3 nearly full, reduces likelyhood of micro bubbles and keeps fuge full if have one.

I have the hydor and like it. Have to put teflon tape or superglue on the fitting or will blow off every so often. Also, if have fuge, little pieces of cheato get caught in it maybe every other day. Easy fix, just annoying.

Cut out the overflow from Chamber1 into 2 so that it is the full width. Increases flow and prevents water "backing up" in chamber 1 if running filter floss in 2 and chemical media.

Remove bioballs, sponge and factory filter pad. Throw in trash......nitrate factories and expensive upkeep on the pads. Use filter floss instead. Buy a huge bag at wal-mart for next to nothing (make sure it is pure polyester filling, no additives like fire-retard) and will last for months.

I would really stay away from Distilled water or at the very least test the TDS before use. I would instead find yourself a quality RO/DI unit and make your own water it is FAR cheaper in the long run to do it this way.

In the picture you can see where the black was peeled away to expose the glass so you can get light to the macro.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 600
i was gonna ask if you modded it so it was all clear, it comes like that but with the plastic over it?

Comes with what feels like a vinyl cover, you can see the remnants on the bottom right of the tank.

hmm. interesting.. i wouldnt do a mini sump in mine only because i like having nitrates lol! sounds stupid but it makes me feel better to see them there.

i would do rubble and maybe some purigen though. ive read that the hydor would fall off because of the increased flow, and with most of the corals ill be keeping for now i wont need the extra from it, just the koralia nano 240 and the flow deflector.

added i wouldnt like the external light on opposite of the DT

The light gets blocked by the false wall, I couldnt see it on at night. I ended up ditching the hydor eventually and sticking with the duckbill. I like the nano but wanted to see if i could stick with the All in one motif. Why do you like nitrates? I dont get that part...

Back
Top Bottom