Can I have him in my BC29?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Dino,
Saw one of these little guys last time I was at my LFS. Coolest fish I've seen in awhile! He'd grab a mouthful of sand, spit it out, look at me for a minute, go back in for more. He'd just sit in his hole and watch me. I don't think adding this fish would hurt your tank any. As it stays relatively small.
Awesome little fish!

Flreefer said:
Hey Dino,
Saw one of these little guys last time I was at my LFS. Coolest fish I've seen in awhile! He'd grab a mouthful of sand, spit it out, look at me for a minute, go back in for more. He'd just sit in his hole and watch me. I don't think adding this fish would hurt your tank any. As it stays relatively small.
Awesome little fish!

Hey thanks!! I REALLY want one!!

I think he would be good because they dont need a super deep sand bed like the blue spotted jawfish.. At least i dont think so.. :) also, watch out for your corals on the sandbed, dont want any of those to get buried! :D

I love the yellow head jawfish! Ive always wanted one. Couple questions though bro.

What are your nitrates at?
Your pwc's are every week right?
How deep is your sandbed? (they need 3-4" min:()
Do you have eggcrate at the bottom of
the tank, or are your rocks directly on the glass? (i think you do have crate).

They really are entertaining..i would go for it. Problem is, your tank is pretty stocked atm. After you answer the pwc and nitrate questions, i will cast my final vote lol:)

Gboy66 said:
I love the yellow head jawfish! Ive always wanted one. Couple questions though bro.

What are your nitrates at?
Your pwc's are every week right?
How deep is your sandbed? (they need 3-4" min:()
Do you have eggcrate at the bottom of
the tank, or are your rocks directly on the glass? (i think you do have crate).

They really are entertaining..i would go for it. Problem is, your tank is pretty stocked atm. After you answer the pwc and nitrate questions, i will cast my final vote lol:)

Ok lemme see if I can answer those for ya.

NitrtAtes are 10 (last test)

Water changes are 5 gallons every Friday

I went with a deep sand bed. I've heard mixed things about it but after some reading and research I went with a 4" sand bed which obviously is more in certain spots due to power heads.

No egg crate, but rocks went in first and then sand so rocks are sitting on the bottom of the tank.

Think I answered everything lol lemme know if I missed something. Of course I did say I would re home something or maybe just hold off until further down the road.

Based on all of that..i thinknyou could get one:) goodluck and pics when the time comes!

I may do it. My mandarin has passed :(

He/she lasted about a month

image-2030991498.jpg

Someone told me they sell tank raised an to look for ORA?

Anyone know of this being true?

Yeah a Mandarin won't last in a 29 gallon tank unless it is feeding off of frozen or you are able to provide a ample amounts of live food. They can are relentless pod eaters and there just isn't enough space in a BC29 to support them. They often starve to death.

Additionally, what is the sandbed depth in your tank? I believe that jawfish ideally should have greater than 4".

Convict2161 said:
I may do it. My mandarin has passed :(

He/she lasted about a month

Someone told me they sell tank raised an to look for ORA?

Anyone know of this being true?

Sorry about the passing convict. But yes the do have tank raised mandarins, however ive never seen tank raised green mandarins if that is what your looking for, they are usually the most sought after because of their pattern.

As for the jawfish. I dont seen much of a problem, just a few things you should be aware of. You will be good with the 4" sandbed, however you need to also be sure there is an ample amount of various shells as they will use these to build their burrows. Also they are jumpers, not sure if you have modded your hood. Good luck!

Sorry to hear of about your Mandarin, Dino. They are definitely one of the toughest out there to keep.
I've lost 2 myself in my salt career, lasted about the same amount of time, now I just leave them alone. First was just me being a noob, second I shouldn't have bought, being it was skinny to start with.
On the bright side, a little more space for that Jawfish!

Flreefer said:
Sorry to hear of about your Mandarin, Dino. They are definitely one of the toughest out there to keep.
I've lost 2 myself in my salt career, lasted about the same amount of time, now I just leave them alone. First was just me being a noob, second I shouldn't have bought, being it was skinny to start with.
On the bright side, a little more space for that Jawfish!

Thanks Toby :(

Thought I was doing good with all those copepods I've been putting in the tank. Guess I was wrong. But yes your right! I think I'll be taking a ride to that store for the new guy!

To answer the other poster. My sand bed is 4" some places higher due to the power heads moving the sand around. I researched and researched and after much debate I went with what I guess is considered a deep sand bed. I'm happy with it.

those jaw fish remind me of prairie dog kinda cool looking be good addition to my tank too
sorry to hear about your manderine my 2 guys are still as feisty as they were when I got them , I average 2000 pod a month fix along with 50 myisth shrimp the mandys love them tiny shrimp along with everyone else in the tank

Well I GOT HIM!! He hid all day :(

Then popped out of the hole my goby made :(

And my goby is out just chilling looking like he just got re homed.

Here's a short video of the only time I saw him. It was when I fed the tank.

Last edited:
That's cool Dino, good luck with him.
Sounds like you've got another little aquarist there too!
I love teaching my kids about the tank. I swear they can ID fish at the pet store better than half the customers there!! :)

Flreefer said:
That's cool Dino, good luck with him.
Sounds like you've got another little aquarist there too!
I love teaching my kids about the tank. I swear they can ID fish at the pet store better than half the customers there!! :)

Haha thanks Toby! Yeah loves watching them, cool little fish too, just pokes his head out and watches lol too funny!! Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom