Can't decide!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Having a horrible time trying to decide on which tank to use.

I have a 5G Marineland, a 2.5G Aqueon bowfront, and a Fluval Chi (lid should be in the mail today, what is the suitability for those? Also a 16G bowfront and a 35G JEBO (the model is "new r375"), I am having a really hard time deciding which FW to break down and move to SW. I was hoping to find a great deal on a all in one tank made for SW but not yet.

All the tanks have sort of important stuff in them and which I had been working on for 6 months to a year. BUT I have to downsize some tanks...hasn't been happening as of yet(!!!), but after I decide on the SW tank it should get easier. lol.

So there is no light suitable for SW right now in my possession. I will need to do something temporary or retrofit.

There is a Coralife 30" T5HO dual light with a 10K and a actinic which could work on the 37G, available for $40, and only 2 months old.

If that light would be a good base for some stuff then the 35G JEBO sounds like it is in the running. Plus I am picking up about 60 lbs of dry coral rock today for either free or $10-20.

The possible benefit of a 5G tank is that it would be economical and simple for pwc, and ???, any other reasons??? Though only a little types of creatures, like inverts would be able to be in there.

All I need after the light is sand and a refractometer. And I can be up and running a cycle.

Help me decide!!! Give me the + and - to help me. I can always go bigger for sure!

I recently set up a pico reef in my 5.5 gallon and in my opinion it's the perfect size. It's big enough so that you won't run out of room for corals and other inverts too quickly, but is also small enough so that you won't end up spending too much on it. The whole setup for me (including liverock, salt, lights, heater, filter and test kits) was only around $110. It all depends on what you want to do with it though - for example, I went into it knowing that I probably won't be able to add any fish to such a small environment except for maybe a single goby. Nevertheless, there are plenty of corals and awesome-looking marine invertebrates to keep you interested. Good luck deciding!

I recently set up a pico reef in my 5.5 gallon and in my opinion it's the perfect size. It's big enough so that you won't run out of room for corals and other inverts too quickly, but is also small enough so that you won't end up spending too much on it. The whole setup for me (including liverock, salt, lights, heater, filter and test kits) was only around $110. It all depends on what you want to do with it though - for example, I went into it knowing that I probably won't be able to add any fish to such a small environment except for maybe a single goby. Nevertheless, there are plenty of corals and awesome-looking marine invertebrates to keep you interested. Good luck deciding!

Is it your first SW, do you have a link for a thread or pic of it.

Yes I know it will be a invert haven if nothing else, they are some of my favorites, unless we were talking hundred(s) of gallons, for a SW, and we are not, lol.

I pretty much have everything else to get started.

But Fluval Chi or Marineland 5 mini bowfront for the smaller size. Would still need a light though for SW for either of those, so more $$ there, but less to fill it up with little frags...

I think the JBJ Picotope is perfect :) it is 3 gals, bowfront, and $35 for. Light + filter + tank.

FTS from mine:

Build thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/3-gal-picotope-build-thread-291298.html

I'd be happy to answer any q's or offer advice on picos! They are amazing, and you can create so much with so little (then again, a little for me turned into a lot as the SW bug bit me ;) I thought I would only add a few corals, and now I have over 35)

I would go with the 5 gallon. More room for things you might like but still small!

Frey what kind of lights and filter are you using for your pico reef?

Yeah it's my first saltwater and it's already turning into an addiction (I'm going to my lfs with a friend tonight to pick out some zoanthids). For filtration I just got the generic top fin Power Filter 10. I didn't want anything too fancy since its only real purpose is to create flow and remove suspended particles. For my light I got the Evo 12 clip on LED which was only $30 and, from what I can tell, has been working perfectly for my xenia and montipora, as both are opening and growing. If you end up doing anything around 5 gallons I'd definitely recommend both of those, but once again I am fairly new to this so don't go on what I say alone (there's plenty of experts on here like Dingus who have this down to an art).

Yeah it's my first saltwater and it's already turning into an addiction (I'm going to my lfs with a friend tonight to pick out some zoanthids). For filtration I just got the generic top fin Power Filter 10. I didn't want anything too fancy since its only real purpose is to create flow and remove suspended particles. For my light I got the Evo 12 clip on LED which was only $30 and, from what I can tell, has been working perfectly for my xenia and montipora, as both are opening and growing. If you end up doing anything around 5 gallons I'd definitely recommend both of those, but once again I am fairly new to this so don't go on what I say alone (there's plenty of experts on here like Dingus who have this down to an art).

Thank you for the kind words freybizzy, I really appreciate it! The lights and filter you mention will work fine for a nano or pico, it's really a matter of opinion and personal experience if everything keeps the tank up and running.

May I recommend a sample equipment list for something between 2-5 gals for the OP (that fits a budget like mine ;)):

- Tetra 50w submersible heater
- Azoo 180 powerhead
- (2) JBJ Picotope 9w lights (One should work if you are only doing softies in a 2-3gal tank. I use two and my SPS is growing fast.)
- Coralife digital thermometer
- A basic HOB filter, not really for flow, just for removing suspended particles.

AND... A turkey baster + light timer. These two pieces of equipment are never listed in SW setup guides, and yet they are some of the most important tools for the marine hobbyist :)

Is it your first SW, do you have a link for a thread or pic of it.

Yes I know it will be a invert haven if nothing else, they are some of my favorites, unless we were talking hundred(s) of gallons, for a SW, and we are not, lol.

I pretty much have everything else to get started.

But Fluval Chi or Marineland 5 mini bowfront for the smaller size. Would still need a light though for SW for either of those, so more $$ there, but less to fill it up with little frags...

For a 5g, a basic par38 led setup with bulb + fixture will run you around $60. This is more expensive than, say, two jbj 9w fixtures but will let you keep just about anything that requires light lol.

For a 5g, a basic par38 led setup with bulb + fixture will run you around $60. This is more expensive than, say, two jbj 9w fixtures but will let you keep just about anything that requires light lol.

Good par38s are more in the $80-100 range. Coralcompulsion sells par30s for about $60 though that would light a 5 for lps and softies

Good par38s are more in the $80-100 range. Coralcompulsion sells par30s for about $60 though that would light a 5 for lps and softies

That's true. I think it's ecoxotic that's sells high quality par38's for >$100, and if you want a good gooseneck fixture you'll need an extra $40 from somewhere like coralcompulsion.

Btw Red, how exactly does one differentiate between par30 and par38? This may be a simple question, but I've never actually come across good clarification.

Really don't know honestly, I would've guessed led power but there the same 3w LEDs being run at 2w as the par38s just fewer LEDs

You guys are awesome!!!

Well I skipped the Coralife t5HO dual 30" light, at least for today.

BUT, I picked up this coral rock pile for $10. They are super HEAVY! I would have thought they would have been lighter weight. The guy said about 65 lbs, but I think more like 80 lbs. Some had shells and barnacle looking things and some had coral. Not sure what all it is called exactly, other than coral stone. They were used in a Cichlid tank, so not live now. Anything you think I should do with them?

60074-albums13960-picture66385.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture66389.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture66387.jpg

5 mins or so should do it. The previous owner never used a copper based medication in the tank with the rocks did they?

5 mins or so should do it. The previous owner never used a copper based medication in the tank with the rocks did they?

Great question, I will see if I can get a good answer.

Otherwise, if I put a couple cull cherry shrimp in a bucket with it and see what happens??? Would that be a good enough test? I might want to test it anyway, just in case...

Oh, I have another question. I was looking at shrimp types. This shrimp says not reef compatible, but it says it is peaceful and lives at the base of reefs and eats brine shrimp and stuff here is the link from liveaquaria for Saron shrimp. So I don't really understand why it isn't. And when they mean reef, they mean with softies and sps and lps, etc.?
Saron Shrimp

Back
Top Bottom