Corals all closed up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, i have this 20h nano reef with a hydor slim skim nano, phosban 150 reactor with biopellets, aquaclear 70 hob with chemipure elite, and two very small powerheads. In this tank i have about 23lb of LR, some xienia, a small frogspawn, acan, and zoas. Along woth yellow colony polyps. Some blue leg hermit crabs, mexican turbo snail, percula clownfish, and a royal gramma and a coral banded shrimp. Now i have an AI SOL nano light that is quite powerful and my corals were doing great for a while. All of a sudden everything started closing up.. Water tests fine, literally everything is perfect. Not really sure whats happening here. Any suggestions? Thank you!!
Jacob

The only coral thats open is my xienia...

When in doubt, do a water change. Coral only close up when they are stressed. If there haven't been any new additions, then it has to be something going on in the water (normally).

Thats what i figured
Ive been doing 30% water changes biweekly. I use caribsea seapure water.
Havent had an issue in a whole it started ever since i added my frogspawn.. Which was almost a month ago. Nobody is sick or anything
Powerheads arent blowing directly on anything
I dont get it lol

Yeah i keep everyone on the bottom and slowly move them up where i want them
And ive tried different brightnesses and nothing makes a dofference
And all my
Colony polyps and zoas ive had forever this only started recently

Did you figure out the problem? One day all my corals were acting weird. Checked the temp and it was 68 degrees! Looked under the stand and the heater plug was not plugged in all the way. They all survived the incident.

Still closed
Moved my frogspawn to a lower spot thinking maybe its too much light, but that doesnt explain why they are all having an issue
Doing a waterchange probably tomorrow or thursday, very short on cash this week but hopefully a good waterchange will do the trick
My heaters fine im at about 79 degrees
Which is pretty good

How long have you had this fixture over the tank?
You know, without sps, you don't even need that reactor wit the bio pellets or the Chemipure.
What is your SG?

And yeah i understand i dont need it
But i figured it wouldnt hurt
Had the light for the life of the tank which is almost a year

And as of right now it looks like my frogspawn is dead. That was my favorite too. Literally everything tests perfect, even both of my lfs tested everythinng and said the same. I swear thos tank is cursed. I think im going to stick with cichlids.

What im probably gping to do is remove the reactor and do a nog water change. If 2 big waterchanges
In the course of a month dont make ot better than i am stumped

Ill keep everyone updated on results
Waterchange will be performed either tonight or tomorrow night

Whats everyones opinions on salt mixes?
I use caribsea seapure packaged saltwater

Did a big waterchange and half the water used to put back in was sea sure the other half was established water from a lfs
Looks like they are a little happier
It definatly did SOMETHING
We shall see

Back
Top Bottom