Featherduster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CorallineAlgae said:
Loosing a feather duster isn't unusual in a young, small system (happens a lot unfortunately). Loosing a turbo snail at the same time means something is off. What's the specific gravity and temp in your tank? I'm guessing the specific gravity is a little off (maybe low). That would be an easy fix so let's hope it's that. Could be lots of other things, though.

Got a really early morning tomorrow at work, i work at a LFS i gotta bring some of
My water to work to test it. All my
Kits expired :p
Il keep everyone updated

As of right now temp is 78.7.. When i got home from work 4 hours ago it was 84.8!!!
I feel that right there might have been the problem although the worm has been off for a few days. Ill find out gravity and other params first thing in the am

Jacobsal91 said:
Got a really early morning tomorrow at work, i work at a LFS i gotta bring some of
My water to work to test it. All my
Kits expired :p
Il keep everyone updated

As of right now temp is 78.7.. When i got home from work 4 hours ago it was 84.8!!!
I feel that right there might have been the problem although the worm has been off for a few days. Ill find out gravity and other params first thing in the am

You REALLY should consider getting either a hydrometer or a refractometer to check your specific gravity for all your tank and newly mixed saltwater. Yeah, that temp is definitely a concern. Ouch. Summer heat is a beast!

CorallineAlgae said:
You REALLY should consider getting either a hydrometer or a refractometer to check your specific gravity for all your tank and newly mixed saltwater. Yeah, that temp is definitely a concern. Ouch. Summer heat is a beast!

+1 Save yourself the headache and always go with the refractometer

CorallineAlgae said:

I have a hydrometer, It reads 1.025 which is ok for my tank. And i tested the water this morning and everything was ok. I have a little phosphate (.25) but other than that im good, i guess the temp is what really hurt me yesterday

Jacobsal91 said:
I have a hydrometer, It reads 1.025 which is ok for my tank. And i tested the water this morning and everything was ok. I have a little phosphate (.25) but other than that im good, i guess the temp is what really hurt me yesterday

That's great to hear. It kinda sounded like you were going to the LFS to check it. It certainly does sound like heat was the cause. My systems run hot hot hot unless I run my fan all the time in summer. I never run it in the cool months, spring and autumn I only run them with the light timer. It's a cheap way to cool off a tank but it really increases my evaporation.

I hear about a lot of people using clip fans from walmart or Lowes. I always use PC type fans attached to my hood and my temp drops way down, even when I was running halides over my old reef. I'm glad to hear that your problem wasn't anything difficult to control. Please, let us all know how you choose to combat the heat and how it goes. :)

Yeah i work at a lfs so i tested it there, and i laughed
When i noticed something stuck on my 'pc' fan for the light thats what seemed to be the problem... It wasnt spinning :p
But i placed a desk fan next to my tank and it stays at 76 even with my AC turned off in the room. Problem solved thanks everyone!!!!

Back
Top Bottom