How do i know when my nano is cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
how do i know when my tank is cycled? its so unstable it has ammonia for a day then doesnt then it has it again then doesnt whats going on?

I dont understand it because my corals seem happy that are in teh tank. I tested the water last night and the day before and it had 0 ammonia, today i test it and its back to .25 ammonia.

Only thing that should be creating ammonia is my little damsel thats was in my QT keeping it cycled.

My Xeina is clapping away and my frog swap in extended, my duncan is slightly retracted but it always seems to be that way in my 75g except at night.

!! just tested again and now its reading 0ppm ammonia. I did test differently I was shaking the tube before adding the 2nd part thinking I was suppose to so i got out the manual and read it to follow the directions and its 0ppm now.

CleverBs said:
!! just tested again and now its reading 0ppm ammonia. I did test differently I was shaking the tube before adding the 2nd part thinking I was suppose to so i got out the manual and read it to follow the directions and its 0ppm now.

How are your nitrites and nitrates?

With my API test It always looks like .25! It's more of a guide really. If its staying that low or 0 and your nitrites have spiked and come back down to zero, and you have nitrates, then I'd say its cycled. The way a cycle works is you get an ammonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike, followed by them both dropping to 0 and then you have just nitrates. So if you've had the spikes but your ammonia keeps jumping to .25 one test and 0 the next test you are probably ok. Hopefully that makes sense to you. How long has the tank been set up?

How are your nitrites and nitrates?

With my API test It always looks like .25! It's more of a guide really. If its staying that low or 0 and your nitrites have spiked and come back down to zero, and you have nitrates, then I'd say its cycled. The way a cycle works is you get an ammonia spike, followed by a nitrite spike, followed by them both dropping to 0 and then you have just nitrates. So if you've had the spikes but your ammonia keeps jumping to .25 one test and 0 the next test you are probably ok. Hopefully that makes sense to you. How long has the tank been set up?

well of course i know how a cycle works, the issue is Iv seen it spike and cycle but ammonia keeps showing up and Im just afraid to put my sexy shrimp in it. Its been set up 3 weeks. It was set up with LR and Sand (rock from another tank of mine) corals seem really happy so thats why Im thinking it must be cycled and my tests are just off. I think ill put my shrimp in today and see how they react?

My frog spawn has never looked happier and I have had it for like 9 months (hasnt grown at all) I am hoping to solve that in the nano by target feeding it.

Back
Top Bottom