i need help im new to all this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fenix22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
okay so ive had freshwater tanks up to 220 gal im really good with fresh water and have read up about everything about saltwater i wanted a 120 gallon tank but then i kept reading and now i want a nano or pico so i bought a pico tank about 3 weeks ago and made the waters gravity perfect and everything my tanks a 4 gallon i also have 6 pounds of live sand and 3 pounds of live rock and i used stuff called bio spira and waited so yesterday i bought 3 dansles ( cant spell sorry lol ) one just sank to the bottom of my tank to the sand and the other 2 did after 30 min so i did a 25% water change and they all perked up a bit so i grabbed some water and went to my lfs and they said my nitrite was high and my ph was a little high too what should i do i can upgrade to a 10 i need your help please help me i am so frustrated :nono:

you didn't let the tank completely cycle it sounds like. Also adding three fish at one time to a 4 gallon tank is a bad idea. I only add 3-4 at a time in my 210 gallon. Either you didnt cycle the tank properly or you spiked the ammonia by adding too many fish. Either way you learned you first Saltwater lesson. MOVE VERY SLOWLY. Nothing good happens fast but bad things do.

okay so ive had freshwater tanks up to 220 gal im really good with fresh water and have read up about everything about saltwater i wanted a 120 gallon tank but then i kept reading and now i want a nano or pico so i bought a pico tank about 3 weeks ago and made the waters gravity perfect and everything my tanks a 4 gallon i also have 6 pounds of live sand and 3 pounds of live rock and i used stuff called bio spira and waited so yesterday i bought 3 dansles ( cant spell sorry lol ) one just sank to the bottom of my tank to the sand and the other 2 did after 30 min so i did a 25% water change and they all perked up a bit so i grabbed some water and went to my lfs and they said my nitrite was high and my ph was a little high too what should i do i can upgrade to a 10 i need your help please help me i am so frustrated :nono:

In a 4 gallon tank you might be able to safely put a single goby in it, 3 damsels are FAR too many for a tank that size. The smallest tank you want to put any type of damsel in is a 30g.

When you add fish you need to take a fair amount of time to acclimate the fish as they need to be acclimated to pH, salinity, and temperature. i usually take at least an hour to acclimate any new fish to my tank.

You also didn't give your tank time to cycle. New live rock will have a large amount of die off form organisms that died during shipping throwing tons of ammonia into the tank. It needs to be cured and then cycled before anything gets added to the tank.

Lastly, a small tank is a nightmare to keep healthy. I wouldn't even consider doing a tank smaller than 20g for a first salt water tank.

First off, you will absolutely need to return the damsels. Then I would highly suggest some more research at maintaining and starting a tank. You also really should research tank sizes for fish before adding them to a tank.

Okay I'll go buy a 20 in the morning thank u so much

Back
Top Bottom