lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reyma10

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my job at Pepboys we sell some alpena maxled strips them babies are really bright it even looks brighter than my 5050 t8 bulb and the strips are also waterproof now my question is will they work better than my t8 fixture or has anybody tried using them

These are them does anyone know of it would work right

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120722_021925.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120722_021925.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 120
Well I was looking for coral because there really bright

They go for 40 bucks and that's the prob they don't say what's the Kelvin output that's why I posted this thred to see if.anybody has used them or know a lil bout them

They don't say what's the Kelvin output all says it's 195/200 lumens and they are 3 Watt

I am curious to know the kelvin also. At 200 lumens ... The kelvin may be around 3k or 4k at most. I see a lot if led at my job and as the lumens increase so do the kelvin. Or the whiter/ brighter the more lumens a lamp or led is.

So with most pc fluorescents @ 10k ..... Is that where the LEDs should be? Or will lower kelvin be fine for corals?

It don't say if its 3 Watts each bulb or the whole strip but I'm going to take a pic of them turned on and post it so you guys can see how bright they are

There are 2 completely different values here. Lumens are directly related to watts, with 1 watt being almost 70 lumens (so 3 w = 195-200 l ). Temperature or Kelvin is the colour of the light. The term warm light is the lower Kelvin range and gives the yellow and red colours. <4500K.
Cool light is the higher Kelvin but still only around 6500 K and higher (into the blue and purple colours). For corals you want >10000K.

If the strip is too low in power or lumens you can add more strips no problem.
If the strips are too warm (<10000k) adding more strips will do nothing for your light but promote algae growth.
I doubt the automotive strip are in the correct colour range, but that is the thing you need to know.

Yea they sell also blue ones will they work as atinic bulbs

Back
Top Bottom