My first saltwater- 27 gallon cube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just wanted to start a build thread, so I could document my project and anyone could provide critiques and advice. I'm sure I need a lot. Today, my hubby decided we could convert his 27 gallon cube to salt. We ran out to buy supplies before he could change his mind. So far, we have a sand substrate, about 2 inches deep, that is a mixture of play sand and live sand. We also have a marineland maxi-jet 900 powerhead and we're running a random old freshwater filter in an attempt to help clear the water. We'll be buying a new filter, probably a canister, this weekend. Since it was the 4th of July, we couldn't go to our lfs and get our live rock or new filter. We set up what we had, just to get started. The live sand said "no cycle needed, just add fish", so we can go out and get some tangs, right? (ha, ha)

Attachments

• image-2530015703.jpg
    image-2530015703.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 235
Can anyone tell me if these lights are acceptable for a saltwater tank? I'm not sure what they are. It's marineland brand, with 3 rows of LEDs. I really don't know what lighting is appropriate, but I've got time to find out, since we haven't even started to cycle.

Attachments

• image-119144673.jpg
    image-119144673.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 199
  • image-1483831642.jpg
    image-1483831642.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 204
Those lights should be good, On the box the lights came in it should say 'reef' or
'reef capable'. Leds are the way
To go these
Days

And dont listen to the live sand label as far are reefing goes please lol. Let it
Cycle.

And tangs are wayy too big for that tank trust me.
(was unsure if you were joking but just clarifying)
:)

Totally joking. We haven't really gotten as far as deciding on stock yet, but we're definitely going to go for smaller fish. We're going to start cycling as soon as we get the live rock. I'm totally new to the cycle process, but I've read many threads about it and i have the link to the how to article on here, so i think I have the basic idea, but I'm sure I'll need lots of advice once I start.

I thought the lights would be okay, since so many people seem to like LED here. Thanks for verifying. Unfortunately, I don't have the box anymore, since this is from the freshwater we are converting. I'll see if I can find the same thing on the Internet to double check.

Well, a little bit of research tells me that I have double bright LEDs and I don't think they are reef compatible. Does anyone know if this is true? Is there anyway to modify or do I need to buy a new setup?

LED

I have that set on a fowlr and while they look good they are not reef capable. If you go with the marineland reef capable LED be sure to get the newer model with the built in timer, It hasnt been out long enough for many reviews though. Sorry for any spelling issues as it is not my strong sute. Also there is a handy App called aquarium ID ive been using to check the truthyness of fish store workers.

Nope, unfortunately the double brights won't cut it for corals. In fact. the reef capable led ones aren't really great either, you will only be able to keep a small selection of corals with that one.

How about a t5 fixture? They can be reasonably priced and will allow a nice selection of corals to be kept. Worth a look. :)

I'll look into the t5. I don't know what we want to stock, but I would like to not have to worry about upgrading more than once. Thanks for the help!

So, I researched T5 bulbs and I am more confused than ever. What size? How do I figure out which to buy? I've seen lighting setups for as little as $40 up to several hundred dollars. Which is appropriate to my tank? The tank is a 20" long cube, 27 gallons. How much light?? I'm so lost :oops:

I looked at that fixture and it's a little pricier than I wanted. I've seen some others that are cheaper, but I don't know what wattage and how many lights I need. I want to be frugal, but I want to be able to keep corals. When push comes to shove, I'll pay the higher price if I need to.

Here's a pic of my live rock in the tank. I'm waiting for my husband gets home to work on aquascaping. The LFS sold me some instant cycle. I know that's not the recommended method, but if I add it and the do a fish less cycle, will it help speed it up?

Attachments

• image-1803490476.jpg
    image-1803490476.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 133
Pics???

As for the additive, I personally don't think it hurts, but I also doubt it's effectiveness. Especially since you've added LR you already added a base source of BB.
I think those additives only help for FO and FW tanks where there is no other outside source for BB other that what eventually occurs naturally thru the air.

Oops. Pic added :) And here it is again, sort of aquascaped. It got a little cloudy with all my fiddling.

Attachments

• image-2872460463.jpg
    image-2872460463.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 108
My first saltwater 27gallon cube

Hi Midnighttang... I'm a newbie, too with saltwater. Have 4 freshwater tanks and now am putting in a 28 gallon cube. You said you used some play sand as part of your substrate. Everything I've read and been told say not to use play sand as it is not for use in a saltwater setup. I don't remember now whether it was because of the possibility of excessive algae or not. Just thought I'd let you know. Also, I'm very confused myself over lighting. I got lucky and bought an all in one tank, with a hood that contains 105 watts of power compact fluorescents. Not a big help to you, I'm afraid, but maybe it can give you some ideas. Hope as I get to know more, I can help more. :fish2:

I can only find it on this one small rock. I'm thinking about just taking out this rock and letting it go dead. Is this a good plan? How long will these buggers live out of water?

Midnighttang said:
I can only find it on this one small rock. I'm thinking about just taking out this rock and letting it go dead. Is this a good plan? How long will these buggers live out of water?

I've read take it out and torch it. Or you could take it out and scrub it off. Dot wanna let the rest of the rock die if you dont have to. The more live rock the better. I mean it will become live again but

Back
Top Bottom