Nano filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I've been bitten by the coral bug! I have a few new additions in my 110G and would really like to start a nano tank. Probably be a 10G, do you guy set up a sump/fuge or what for these tiny tanks? My LFS has a setup for $99, it includes a 10G seamless tank with JBL 50/50 light(not sure on wattage) and a wet/dry filter that is conceiled in the back of the tank, but I"ve recently learned wet/dry is no good for corals/inverts due to nutrient build up leading to high nitrates. So..... back to my original question what filtration besides the obvisous 15lbs LR?

man you think the 6500K light won't make you tank look a bit yellow.. had to ask because I have to change my own light set up because of this..

I didin't notice that on the ebay auction but my LFS has the setup with a 50/50 bulb that looks decent. Don't think it would be enough for some of the high light demandings corals but sufficient for now.

You could add a sump to the 10 gallon or if possible take the stuff out of the wet/dry in the back and run live rock in there and like 15-20 lbs of rock in the tank with a shallow sand bed (a dsb in 10 gallons eats up a lot of real estate). A couple of small powerheads to keep the water circulating and it should be good to go. A sump would up your total volume, which would be nice for such a small tank.

I have a 2 gal anao and i just use a tetra whisper filter and my peppermint shrimp and my live rocki s doing great im a little hesitant to put corals in though

Mr. Marine

Ok, my mom wants this thing really bad now so I'm going to get her one for christmas. What will I be able to keep with this light? I'm sure she won't go to crazy with stuff in it but I was thinking of the 12 for 75 deal on seacrop if this light will support most/any corals. What could I upgrade or add to this light that would be decently inexpensive?

I had a homemade 2x32w PC setup on my 10g. Worked great. I wonder if you can retro something like that into this hood? The built in "wet/dry" might have the potential for conversion to a fuge later?

for a decent spectrum the light really should be power compact. Which I believe is set for the one in your e-bay link. Which is decent for a tank that small... I wouldn't try SPS's or clams, but most LSP's and mushrooms should be OK under those conditions. You can get 50/50's at 24 watts in that size.

As far as the sump goes, it's not necesary but it helps. Increases water volume which allows for accidents more than anything. The most important thing with a Nano reef that small is it must be topped off daily... a few ounces of evaporation will change the salinity! And water changes have to be very regular because DO's will built up fast!

Aside form those few facts a nano can be an awesome time. And a lot CHEAPER than a huge reef system, eh?

p

Back
Top Bottom