New nano tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
this is a picture of my new 10 gallon nano. i drilled it myself last night with a bit i loaned from my lfs. i put 2 overflows instead of one just because the surface area on the intake looked a little small. i am now heading to the hardware store to get some elbows to angle the overflows so i can adjust the hieght of the water. here is how i plan to set up my nano.
10 gallon display
amiricle wet/dry converted into an eco system for filtration
mag drive 2 for a return
SCWD with two returns mounted on each side of the tank
15 lbs lr
1" ls in the display
miricle mud eco bed
lighting will be 2 32 watt pc's on the main and a 32 watt pc on the eco
the ballast will be a slyvania from lowes just like loganj uses for his setup except he used 55 watt bulbs.

if anyone can throw in any suggestions feel free. i can't wait to get this little guy up and going.

oh yeah and i will post pics as i go along

I don't have any suggestions just yet, I am eagerly awaiting more pics...it looks like it's gonna be one sweet set-up!! Good job and obviously a little research so far ;)

is it necessary to have a sump for a 10gal tank? What exactly is a "nano" reef? And "micro" reef for that matter? The setup looks very nice kribbz! What kinda bit do you use to drill the holes?

is it necessary to have a sump for a 10gal tank?

No it's not necessary, but is a good option IMO.

What exactly is a "nano" reef?

Most consider nano reefs to be reef tanks 20g or less.

And "micro" reef for that matter?

I would consider a micro reef a reef tank of 5g or less and 1g or less and you could call it a Pico reef.

but wont the water level be really low?

This will probably depend on how kribbz directs the strainers (I assume they can be adjusted). Our 180g has 3 bulkheads w/strainers (no overflows). The holes are drilled about 2.5" below the top of the tank, but because we angle the strainers up, the water level stays about 1" from the top.

Hope that makes sense.

gooyferret said:
is it necessary to have a sump for a 10gal tank?

the reason i'm adding a sump is so i have more water volume and surface area for gas exchange meaning lower temp and better water quality.

gooyferret said:
What kinda bit do you use to drill the holes?

I used a diamond tipped 1 1/8" bit

d9hp said:
WOW! Good drilling, but wont the water level be really low?

i put some elbows on after i took the pictures that allow me to adjust the water level. i'll post more pictures tonight.

new additions

picked up this today from someone off of reefcentral this mourning for $50. it's a 20 gallon so it's even bigger than i was originally going to go with but the bigger the better. it also came with 10lbs miricle mud (y) and all the original hoses and parts.

also after i picked that up i built the stand for the tank. it measures 26" Long, 18" deep and 30" tall. i wanted to build it big so i would have to worry about it wobbling around at all. i also don't know how much of this i am going to finish i know i need to paint it and add one more support at the top were the 10 gallon will sit but i think i'm going to leave it completely open like that so i can see the sump at all times. i should post a few more pictures in the mourning because i'm getting my shipment from premium aquatics which will have my SCWD, my returns and my pump. so it will be an interesting day tomorrow.

ok guys got some questions for ya. now i got eveything up and running FINALLY today. now how much miricle mud should i have in the sandbed? also i used southdown and it seemed to settle overnight but once i turned the pumps on it stired it right back up. once my diatoms blume will this stuff sit down or will it forever blow around? seems to be the only two questions i can think of right now but i will post some more pictures hopefully tonight after my volleyball game.

here is a little update on my 10 gallon. the lighting isn't compleatly finished yet. i still have to get the 35 watter for the sump and the actinic on the display tank. i also have to touch up the wiring for the lighting as soon as i get to school and the tank is in it's permanent position.

Sorry I don't know anything about Miracle Mud, but the tank is looking good! Keep us posted, and keep the pics coming!

i'm using 2 36 watt pc's on the top and i think a 36 on the fuge. but i may change my mind and just keep the two NO's over it cause the macros seem to be doing just fine down there now. so we'll see.

[center:643e63bc0e]Hey Kribbz[/center:643e63bc0e]

[center:643e63bc0e]Happy Birthday!![/center:643e63bc0e]

Hope you got some new stuff for the new nano ;)

hey thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! no i didn't get anything for the nano but i got a wavemaster pro for my 65 and also i am planning on ordering an RO/DI unit once i get back from vacation next friday.

SWEET! your using the SCWD too? Im planning a new tank and want to incorporate it aswell. Good find on the oceanic sump, they look really clean.

Back
Top Bottom