new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ms705jk

Aquarium Advice Freak
We'll the 9 gallon ehiem has been officially outgrown. I built a tank to replace it. Not sure how many gallons it is but it measure 14"x14"x20". The footprint of the tank matches that of the stand I built for the ehiem. Any suggestions on how to get the sand rocks and inhabitants in the new tank. I was thinking to treat it like a water change. Simply move everything over and top off with new water.

ForumRunner_20140518_200257.jpg

ForumRunner_20140518_200319.jpg

Here's a pic of the 9 gallon and the new tank.

I've never actually transferred a tank, but I do have some pieces of advice just from experience transporting livestock, cleaning tank, etc. Is the new tank going to be near the old one (will the transport distance for your LR be short?)

- Do not re use the sand, unless you have kept it stirred and aerated. There well be layers of built up gases, detritus, and other wastes which will only be a headache in the new tank.

1. Take out all of the livestock in the tank and out them in a temporary holding tank (one or two 5g buckets should do the trick.)
2. Transfer the liverock to the new tank. I'd recommend getting more LR since you'll be using a larger tank.
3. Add your new live sand (after the rock)
4. Let the tank clear for a little while, then add back your livestock.
5. Carefully monitor params for a few days to catch any spikes from LR die off and what not (do WCs as necessary.)

Good luck with your new tank!

Thanks for the advice. I do have a new question now though. If I use new sand instead of whats in the old tank won't I lose a lot of beneficial bacteria and have to cycle the new tank?
Im using all the water in the old tank and just toping off the new tank with saltwater. I shouldn't have any lr die off. The new tank is going right where the old one is sitting

Thanks for the advice. I do have a new question now though. If I use new sand instead of whats in the old tank won't I lose a lot of beneficial bacteria and have to cycle the new tank?
Im using all the water in the old tank and just toping off the new tank with saltwater. I shouldn't have any lr die off. The new tank is going right where the old one is sitting

The sand isn't a particularly big source of your BB. If you use all live sand for the new tank, there shouldn't be much of a difference in bb at all, and your rock should be able to handle what little difference there may be (if here are any spikes in the beginning, you should already be checking enough to catch it with WCs.

Anyways, you definitely don't want to use the old sand, that would be much worse than any spike there may be form using new sand.

New tank is up and running for the last two days. I did purchase a new filter for it since the new tank is 10 gallons bigger. I got a national geographic brand submersible pump with 3 stage filtration. I was very surprised when reading the manual the ehiem owns the brand. More pics and livestock to come

New tank is looking great! I'm very happy with the height of this tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140530_081844.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140530_081844.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 136
Looks good. I had a tall 10G tank awhile ago and I had the same issue. What I did was got a really tall rock with a bunch of random large holes in it and then placed smaller rocks on the sides. Here is a picture I found of it before I had anything in it for reference. A few of those rocks came out but you get the idea.

img_2957709_0_33a95e42bc857b56ff5c1e6e5879ca8d.jpg

Your tank looks awesome. I was looking for a nice rock about 16" tall. Similar to what you have but I was afraid to put it in and deal with ammonia spikes from die off

Mine was a dry rock and I cycled with it so I didnt have that problem. Toughest part is finding a tall rock you can still place corals on. Dont have that tank anymore. It was fun but too small for everything I wanted.
What do you plan on adding to the tank?
If you could just find a flat rock drill it before placing it in the tank, you could cover that back wall of rock in different coral frags and let it grow out. Might be kinda neat.

That's a good idea. I wonder if I could put a dry rock in the tank now with no ill effects. As for livestock I would like a few more corals. Birds nest for example, ones that will grow tall. Maybe 2 or 3 small fish. I already have a neon goby and a clown

Dry rock can always be added, it's a great way to add rock without dieoff! As for fish, I'd recommend sticking with the current stock, and maybe one more small fish. Assuming this tank is bigger than the 9 and smaller than a 20, you could add something colorful like a clown goby (lots of color variations) or some other "nano" goby. Does the clown ever pick on the neon?

Dry rock can always be added, it's a great way to add rock without dieoff! As for fish, I'd recommend sticking with the current stock, and maybe one more small fish. Assuming this tank is bigger than the 9 and smaller than a 20, you could add something colorful like a clown goby (lots of color variations) or some other "nano" goby. Does the clown ever pick on the neon?

That's good to hear, about the rock. The clown could careless about the neon. They even feed together

The clown (minimum tank size around 15, optimal tank seems to be 30+) and neon goby (needs at least a 5 for an experienced aquarist, 10 is better) IMO you've got a perfect stocking level. Definitely no cardinals, which need 30+ gallon, as they get over 3 inches.

I think another small goby or blenny would work fine though. I'm sure you've already seen this, but check out the liveaqauria nano fish section, lots of good ideas for fish that would work with your tank and current stock.

Btw, I calculated your new tank to be around 16 gallons, and a little less since the tank isn't full to the brim.

That's a good idea. I wonder if I could put a dry rock in the tank now with no ill effects. As for livestock I would like a few more corals. Birds nest for example, ones that will grow tall. Maybe 2 or 3 small fish. I already have a neon goby and a clown

Tell my birdsnest to grow tall lol. It just keeps growing outward!

In a 10g tank I wouldnt have more than 3 smaller fish. Depending on the size of the fish and what they are maybe 4 but you would be pushing it. In my 10 I had a clown, yellow watchman goby, and a green banded goby. I also had a 10g sump.

Back
Top Bottom