new to salt water - biocube 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

Soo I have been a fresh water tank keeper for years, but I am being given a biocube 8 and noticed that people like to use them for nano reefs so thought I would do a little investigation into how hard it might be to learn to keep a Salt water tank, and how to go about it with the biocube. I don't know the first thing about Salt water tanks.. I see talk of skimmers and sumps and live rock, live sand etc and don't really know what to think. But they sure look neat and might be a fun thing to try after years of fresh water.

SO I guess, where do I start? Is there a good step by step guide? Are there specific mods I NEED for a biocube to work with salt water? I've seen things about lighting needing to be different?

Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Hi Nicole,

I don't have a biocube, but I have heard great things about them. What you have there is perfect for a Nano reef. Did it come with a fltration system? Also, what type of lighting does it have? T5's I assume? If so, you can get some HO bulbs that should work great.

Other than that, you will need heater, live sand, live rock (prob 10 lbs or so).

For livestock for that tank, you should probably do a real neat clean up crew... some hermits and snails, and a cleaner shrimp. If you wanted to do a fish, you're options are limited, but a Firefish or clown goby would probably be ok.

Sounds like a great project!

Back
Top Bottom