Setting up "TWINS"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jan4scuba

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I just finished setting up my Eheim Aquastyle 9 gallon Dutch style nano. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410567627.519069.jpg
I was perusing Craigslist and happened to come across the exact same tank, filters, heater and LED lights for $100. I just got it home and now want to set up a nano reef next to the nano planted.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oopps sent it before I finished the post. Here are some questions I would like answered before I start in on the project.
-does a 9 gallon tank need a power head and/ or a protein skimmer?
-what PAR value would I need so I can grow any coral I want?
-is the cycling of a SW tank similar to that of a FW? Ammonia to Nitrates to Nitrites to fish?
-is live sand and rock preferable to inorganic.
-can I use declorinated tap water or do I need R/O water at all times?

I know it's a lot of questions but there is so much info out there with so many opinions that I would like to trust this community for answers. The FW forum were incredibly helpful in setting up the planted nano.
The last people I trust is the LFS people. All they want to do is sell as much as they can.
Thanks in advance.
Jan

Oopps sent it before I finished the post. Here are some questions I would like answered before I start in on the project.

-does a 9 gallon tank need a power head and/ or a protein skimmer?

9G - Powerhead if you don't get good flow in all the corners. I was told protein skimmer not necessary if you do decent pwc each week.

-what PAR value would I need so I can grow any coral I want?

Probably someone with more experience would be better, but 38 is what I was told.

-is the cycling of a SW tank similar to that of a FW? Ammonia to Nitrates to Nitrites to fish? Similar as you mention. The live rock (LR) and live sand (LS) are BB breeding grounds and they help the cycle move more quickly.

People said LS isn't necessary, but since you have a small tank I would do it.

I started my little tank 4 months ago and used LS and about half LR, only because I had about 80 lbs of rock from a hobbyist (for $10), wasn't live.

-is live sand and rock preferable to inorganic.
Are you meaning manufactured rock, because I don't specifically know myself, which brands are ok or not, but the advantage is that it doesn't remove rock from active reefs or harm ocean habitat and there shouldn't be any bad hitchhikers on there. Unless it has been cycling in the lfs tanks, then there could be hitch hikers.

-can I use declorinated tap water or do I need R/O water at all times? RO/ DI (deionized) because you don't want there to be silicates in the water, and RO/DI makes it very clean. Removes the heavy metals and Chlorine/Chloramines.

oh and true, most lfs don't know that much, unless it is a specialty SW or reef store, then your chances are better but not great!

Most often I have been told the wrong thing from every store I have been to...not always all wrong, just not really all right.

I am a sw noob, but I am learning by doing and asking questions to try and get it right!

Last edited:
Thanks Autunmsky..That was really helpful. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I move through this process. I'm not rushing it because I'm enjoying it too much, ;-))

This is the tank you are setting up. I had a lot of fun with it as my first nano. The only thing with this setup I can think of is when you do your weekly maintenance pop the over off the impeller and run a Q-tip around in the hole. For whatever reason after about 6 months I was losing pressure and thats how I fixed it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1411345378749.jpg
    1411345378749.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 110
Thanks ms. I appreciate the advice. Your tank looks beautiful. Can you tell me the particulars of what's in the tank. Both Equipment and wildlife. Have you added more equipment to the original setup.
Thanks.

Well there was a few softies. Mushrooms zoanthids and frogspawn. As far as fish go one small clown one royal grama and a neon goby. The only hardware I added to this tank was a 15k blue pendant little. I think it was $15 and it worked great for this tank. I took this tank down and set up a bigger one only because I wanted a little more depth and I hated the low water line. Oh sorry I also used 16 lbs of live rock and about 6 lbs of live sand

Thanks for the help.

So what did you decide on as far as live rock?

Funny you should ask. In between all of the decisions I purchased 3 pair of Killifish for my planted nano. They were all mated pairs, and one male was so aggressive I decided to remove him from the tank and breed them. So now my "twin" is being used as a breeding tank for this beautiful Killifish couple.

But before I did this I did decide to go with the cherry primo from live rock and reef. I get the feeling that I'm not going to have the patience for breeding not to mention I haven't figured out yet what to do with the fry if they live. LOL. I didn't exactly plan ahead, just went with my gut on this one. I just thought I'd see if I could actually do it.

By the way. I'm not too thrilled about the aesthetics of a breeding tank either. It's bare except for a filter a heater and 2 spawning mops I made myself. More to come ..stay tuned.
Thanks for the interest.

Breeding should be fun. I've read a lot about it but at this stage in the game I don't think skill level is where it needs to be. I'd like to try some designer clowns but not anytime soon. If I was successful it could definitely off set my cost on corals. Good luck! Ill be waiting for updates

Breeding should be fun. I've read a lot about it but at this stage in the game I don't think skill level is where it needs to be. I'd like to try some designer clowns but not anytime soon. If I was successful it could definitely off set my cost on corals. Good luck! Ill be waiting for updates

Send me your email and I'll send you some pics of both tanks. I hate sending thru AA It never works

Back
Top Bottom