Skimmers!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scaravian777

Aquarium Advice Activist
Tell me about your skimmers. How well they work? How much did you pay? and How you implement them into your tank system? What's the rated GPH?Let's see all the varieties and preferences! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390964286.663130.jpg

My skimmer is in the first section of my sump its an air driven skimmer so I'm not sure what the gph is but it does a good job of keeping everything clean. I paid £20 for mine

Only downside to mine from what I see is the air pump is loud but I can change that out for a better one.

I put a Red Sea Prizm Hang-on Protein Skimmer in the first stage of my sump.
Reviews are not very good for this skimmer but with a small simple modification it pulls enough junk out that I'm cleaning the container at least every week as I run it very wet.
For less than $100 and the sleek design,it's perfect for 40 G or less.

I would like to get a skimmer. I have a 18 gallon rimless cube. It would have to hang off the side. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd build. Sump! The skimmer that you see in the picture is rated for up to 300g and it cost me 70 dollars. Not too bad! Works better than most skimmers. My theory is better to hove over filtration than under filtration!

How many gallon sump would you recommed? I have a 10 gallon glass aquarium, maybe I could turn that into a sump.

I have a 10g sump to go with my 10g display bigger the better really

I'd never use one ok my saltwater tank they end up as nitrate factory's. I use one for my freshwater and its great

I just run a large skimmer. This canisters are huge dilemmas. They work for a bit then just build up all the nasty stuff. Skimming as filtering is probably a safer bet. No nitrate build up it'll all comes out

Well I really feel like I need more filtration of some sort. I have a all in one 18 gallon nano cube. I would like to get some corals. Right now I have a zoa. Any suggestions.

What filtration you looking for exactly? Non the less if your making a reef tank you need to run carbon to prevent coral from releasing toxins

Bubble-Magus Curve 7, rated up to 250g i believe, dead silent and extremely reliable! paid $280 for it brand new

Yes, I'm planning on a reef tank. I was told that the all in one would be ok. But the more I'm reading I'm thinking I need more. Any suggestions. One person told me to use carbon in one of the compartments and get rid of the sponge. I was wondering why he told me that.
A
I'm open to any suggestions.

are you referring to a canister filter? if so, how you customize the chambers is strictly up to you, and dont be afraid to experiment a lil bit. as for them not working on sw tanks, thats bogus. there are plenty of hobbyists that use them. wouldnt be my first choice but they work.

are you referring to a canister filter? if so, how you customize the chambers is strictly up to you, and dont be afraid to experiment a lil bit. as for them not working on sw tanks, thats bogus. there are plenty of hobbyists that use them. wouldnt be my first choice but they work.

Canisters are usable on both fresh and saltwater tanks. The key is maintenance of them! Most people just forget that they are there and never clean them. This leads to nitrates in the SW world and isn't very friendly upon livestock. If you clean it out weekly with your water changes, you'll never have a problem with it.

No, my tank has an over flow area with 3 compartments. 1. The water flows from the aquarium to the back compartment (this is where the sponge is) 2. The next compartment I have my heater 3. The 3rd compartment is my power head. It's all attached to the backside of my aquarium. I was wondering if this type of filtration is ok if you are going to have a reef aquarium.

It can be. Many switch this and that out to make it a better experience for what they are trying to do, from skimmers to purigen...whatever. I would try this out and see how it works before anything.

Back
Top Bottom