Snowstorm preps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riverhawk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok guys,now its my turn to kringe..i'm under the gun of a winter snowstorm warning and 8-12+" of heavy snow and winds..what suggestions do you have for me other than pray i dont lose my juice...i have no access to a generator..:( and what should i do if i do lose it(my juice..not my sanity:) )

How much time do you have til it hits? If you have enough time and resources, you can buy a Powerpack. Duracell makes one. It says it can be plugged into the car lighter too. I don't have one yet, but have been reading up on what to buy for this purpose. If you don't have enough time, and you do lose power, wrap the tank in blankets and every hour pull out a pitcher of tank water and pour it back in to keep the water oxygenated. If you're a hunter at all, I've read that someone on here uses those boot warmers for hunters and puts one in a wet washcloth, seal it in a ziplock bag and drops a couple in the tank to keep the water warm. Good luck!! Hope you don't lose power!

I have battery run emergency air pumps..they run on d batteries.... I also have old blankets and the emergency mylar blankets too...i hope not to lose power either..thank god for wood burning stoves...;) the storm is moving in this pm around rush hour ..then snow ALL day weds... Will let you guys know how we fair..... Thank god my tanks arent heavily stocked...:)

Beengirl do you remember who it was with the handwarmers?i'd be afraid that might get thru the bag....may try that though... Bad enuf have 5 marine tanks in house..also have horses to worry about! :eek:

Def not excited for this a week after dropping 100$ on new stock. :/

I hope we get nothing here. It's cool though the generator is ready and just went and got 15g gas. So I'm ready. Who needs milk and water anyways...?

Wheres this storm supposed to hit? And goodluck to you all!

Beengirl do you remember who it was with the handwarmers?i'd be afraid that might get thru the bag....may try that though... Bad enuf have 5 marine tanks in house..also have horses to worry about! :eek:

I did hand Warner's 2 years ago, put 4-5 in a washcloth and put that in a ziplock. Worked well in my 30g the 55-75 was a bit more of a pain.

Im in southern ontario the forecast seems good up here

My tanks are all 10 gals or less except my btothers;theyre 29 & 14 gals... Plus his mantis tank(8gals) one or two per should be enough...i live 10-15 minutes outside of warrenton va... So we are to get ,as of 6 am; 8-10+" yeah..NOT!!:(

Thankfully when I built my house a big ole generator was built into it :). But I wish you guys the best of luck. I would lose my freaking mind having no power for my tanks

Trust me i wish right now we had 1!:) well...hopefully we wont lose power but what can u do..except have a sleepless night making sure they get enuf air and hopefully stay warm enuf.... Got a whole box of handwarmers...if we dont use for the tanks theres always next time!!:D moms hitting the feed store etc since she gets off in an hour...i work for the county but im not "essential" personnel,the scalehouse folks are...and one of the lives in sperryville va....and drives a cavalier...dont see her makin it...oh well back to the fishies...will let you guys know how we fare here when it stops..

I'm in northwest Indiana and getting 6-12 inch to hopefully ill be alright

Me being above the 49th parallel, aka canada usa border in ontario, it regularly snows here, just last weekend we had not one word of a lie, about 4 and a half feet. And it never phases anyone, heck i drive about in my mazda 3 gt with 20s and low pros. Havent had any problems this season or last season with power outages during winter storms, and they are nasty storms !

Me being above the 49th parallel, aka canada usa border in ontario, it regularly snows here, just last weekend we had not one word of a lie, about 4 and a half feet. And it never phases anyone, heck i drive about in my mazda 3 gt with 20s and low pros. Havent had any problems this season or last season with power outages during winter storms, and they are nasty storms !

Part of what makes it manageable is if your city/county is used to dealing with that amount of snow. I used to live in Minnesota and we would get lots if snow-a foot or more-at once on a regular basis, and school wouldn't close, the roads would be clear, life went in as normal. But here in southern Michigan, if we get 4 inches of snow, they cancel school because the snow plows aren't started until the snow ends, which is kinda silly.

Ive heard stories about snowplows in the us, probably not true, we use dump trucks as snow plows up here, touche on the lifestyle difference. We dont start up the plows till the snow stops either. But things are warming up, its easy enough to tell spring is coming and the weather is warming up, it was +3 today, gonna be +5 tmrw and theres still snow outside lol

Still here and still have power so far..:) we will see how long this lasts... Got 20 handwarmers for tanks if juice goes... :D hey 22engine you,if in boston area,are gettin in next....sorry :(

Yup I will vouch for the four and a half feet. Pain to shovel but not to bad to deal with. On the plus side its a great way to chill your beer. Free cooler. :)

Well 11am here... Snow is about 1/2 way up my calf....winds have picked up... Still have juice... :) dance... Dc 1 1/2" pffff come here to my neck of woods..fish still snug and warm... 6500 peeps with no power.. Im getting battery b ups for my tanks after this is done...can be used anytime power is down.. Marine scene in herdon has them... Gotta go and save my phone..will let you guys know later;)

Survived storm with my power..fishies all ok..:) until next time..;D

Back
Top Bottom