Some more questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gemach7

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok so setup my first saltwater aquarium about 2 weeks ago (15 gallons) Started with live sand and live rock and adding a 1 or 2 flakes of food a day. Currently running a hydor 425 circulating pump and aquatop heater. Have one live stock a hermit crab that I didn't see on my live rock when I added. Today was the first day no nitrites or ammonia detected. Did a 20% pwc bringing nitrate down to 5ppm.

Now that the nitrogen cycle has at least established itself left with a few questions.

Bought a eshopps nano overflow box 200 gph max. And built a sump off Internet plans. Is a hydor 200 gph submersible pump enough to act as the return for sump? What else will I need plumbing wise to get to work?(website wasn't very clear). I raise crested geckos, is the grow lights I use for ficus trees enough to grow macro algae in the sump?

I have an idea on fish stock:

1 yellow striped Cardinal fish
1 catilina goby
Would this work? When can I add?

What species is my hermit crab hitchhiker?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434730604.301835.jpgis it reef compatible?

What type of clean up crew and numbers should I add?

Yeah you seem like you have a good plan. That pump will work. I would add more water flow in the display and I would randomize it. The fish all work. Did you know the catalina goby is a cold water species though?

That light will support macro algae. All you need is two tubing. No need to over complicate plumbing. ATO is nice. Protein skimmer. Did you need sump design?

Yeah you seem like you have a good plan. That pump will work. I would add more water flow in the display and I would randomize it. The fish all work. Did you know the catalina goby is a cold water species though?

That light will support macro algae. All you need is two tubing. No need to over complicate plumbing. ATO is nice. Protein skimmer. Did you need sump design?

Can I put a Pygmy Wrasse instead with the cardinal fish?
I downloaded a sump design from another site.
Can I put another 425 doesn't seem to cause too much movement?

The Possum wrasse may but pushing it but if you had an active supply of pods and lots of food you may be able to do if. Put it in last, despite it being one of the more peaceful wrasse.

The 425 is actually a very week pump.. It's for like a 5g tank.. I'd consider putting in a a Jebao WP-10 running at 50% in Else mode. You're looking around the same price at a Hydor and it has the ability to pulse providing a more realistic environment.

If you wanted another Hydor I'd put the 800g one in. It sucks because it's no longer the nano sizing, but it moves water a lot better and it's what you need to recreate the ocean....

More flow usually always better. IT's the single most important part of reef keeping.

Will look into the wave pump and thank you on answering. Looked at wrasse because of color only looking for 2 fish but wanted as much color variation as possible between the two. Will keep options open as I see nano capable fish. Not in a rush only have the hermit crab hitch hiker atm.

Nitrate was around 15 this morning so will probably do a PWC tomorrow.

Maybe I'll get the cardinal fish first and a snail and look back at the wrasse when tank is suitable for coral.

Back
Top Bottom