what is a bio wheel and do i need it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

napydred

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my filter is a hang on the back with a carbon scrubber then the water flows back into the tank in the process rotating a "bio wheel", i remember reading someone saying they should take their bio wheel off therefore allowing the water to just flow back into the tank, is this true? if so why?

i remember reading someone saying they should take their bio wheel off therefore allowing the water to just flow back into the tank, is this true? if so why?

If you have at least 1.5-2LBs per gallon, you should have enough biological filtration to remove the biowheel.
A biowheel grows/cultivates good bacteria and somtimes an over abundance of nitrates.

Some folks like to replace the wheel with LR rubble. If your tank is still new, I would hang tight and if you start having high nitrates, take a look at that, if/when it happens. Of course other opinions/experience should be considered, other than just mine.

Biowheels tend to create a nutrient source after a while. If you have sufficient other biological filtration (i.e. live rock) then take it off otherwise you might have algae problems down the road.

Back
Top Bottom