What is a nano reef and can I have one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I read the what is a nano reef thread and it didnt tell me much. Is a nano reef basically a small saltwater tank. If so just how small can they be to support life that will thrive? I have a tons of old 1-2 gallon tanks that I want to do something with I used them for bettas a while back. What equipment do I need and how hard is it keeping and successfully maintaining one? I've seem threads titled 2g new nano and can you really keep fish on there happily if so id like to attempt it. I've done freshwater never salt water but always wanted to do saltwater I thought you had to have all this expensive big tanks and equipment and it was difficult.

They are indeed very small SW tanks.

A word of caution, nanos are not the best place to start when going into the SW world. Small tanks require constant care. If you are interested in going into SW look at something along the lines of a 29g or up. Temp swings and SG spikes are not reef friendly. Things happen very quickly on a small volume of water and can be very frustrating.

Thanks I won't do one for a while but still what saltwater fish could thrive in a 1g? I know in fw nothing but a snail would and they wouldn't be very happy. I just bought a 28g aquarium brand new a couple weeks ago and did fw because I didn't have the money for sw. And I thought it was extremely difficult to maintain a sw.
They are indeed very small SW tanks.

A word of caution, nanos are not the best place to start when going into the SW world. Small tanks require constant care. If you are interested in going into SW look at something along the lines of a 29g or up. Temp swings and SG spikes are not reef friendly. Things happen very quickly on a small volume of water and can be very frustrating.

IMO the idea for a SW tank is to make it self sustaining. Meaning it takes care of its self. All you have to do is feed the fish and change some water.

I wouldn't put any fish in a 1g tank. I had some 1g tanks I used when I had guppies dropping babies but that was about it.

SW isn't that difficult to maintain once it is balanced. Proper lighting, filtration, flow and excellent water are all that you need to have a nice balanced healthy tank. Granted there are a lot of steps between beginning and balanced but they aren't anymore difficult for SW than FW.

FYI:

I deleted your other thread with the same post.

Last edited:
Thanks I don't know why my iPod posted it twice. Would red cherry shrimp do well in a 1g. Someone told me they'll do great and be happy you can fit 3 in a 1g is this true?
IMO the idea for a SW tank is to make it self sustaining. Meaning it takes care of its self. All you have to do is feed the fish and change some water.

I wouldn't put any fish in a 1g tank. I had some 1g tanks I used when I had guppies dropping babies but that was about it.

SW isn't that difficult to maintain once it is balanced. Proper lighting, filtration, flow and excellent water are all that you need to have a nice balanced healthy tank. Granted there are a lot of steps between beginning and balanced but they aren't anymore difficult for SW than FW.

FYI:

I deleted your other thread with the same post.

Back
Top Bottom