$250 Gift Certificate to my LFS, what to do with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just won a raffle and one of the stores to receive the Gift Certificate is my LFS. I just bought 40lbs LR from liverock.com and will be buying 2 250 or 400 watt MH's within a week or so. What should I do with the gift certificate? Should I buy some supplemental lighting, get a 60" long 24" deep aquarium instead of my 31" deep, save it for fish/corals, buy more LR, buy a few powerheads to move water better....or something different I didn't list, what would you guys do?

If I was you I would give it to me. :lol: Just joking. I would save it and wait until you are certain what you need most or what you want most. But if I had to choose I would use it for lighting.

Congratulations! I have just started to research SW, and I have learned that lighting is very important to reefs (don't ask me what kind of lighting yet, LOL!) and SW tanks need a much greater water flow than FW. So, I would use the certificate for lighting or powerheads. I have heard that lighting is rather expensive, so you want to plan your lighting carefully so you only have to spend a bunch of money once. But you probably already know that! :)

Just wondering...where in PA do you live -- east or west? I'm trying to think where I would spend a certificate like that around here!

personally i would use it for livestock. the reason i say this is because i like to order my dry goods online becuase it is definatly cheaper. if you use it to buy livestock the fish or corals won't be placed in a bag and stressed out for very long. plus you can pick up one or two things at a time and not have to worry about paying a HUGE shipping charge.

ReefRaff said:
I live in ohio. so I could come help you spend it one day. :mrgreen:

:D I don't think I'll have a problem spending it in one day, there sooo much stuff I need I just don't know what I need the most. I will probably save a decent amont for livestock and maybe use the rest for supplement lighting for my MH's?

hard to tell you what you need when i dont know what you have now. sump? skimmer? filters? lights? Id buy corals and sell em back over ebay for double the price...oh wait...some retards already do that. :evil:

biotoxin said:
hard to tell you what you need when i dont know what you have now. sump? skimmer? filters? lights? Id buy corals and sell em back over ebay for double the price...oh wait...some retards already do that. :evil:

My tank and I aren't quit ready to buy corals yet :( I will be getting 2x250 MH lights in the next week or so and have a wet/dry sump turning over about 600gph, have a skimmer. I actually have another post before I won this gift certificate asking what else I'll need for corals.

Back
Top Bottom