2nd Coral!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
I picked up my second coral yesterday . Its a green torch and it's probably the diameter of a quarter. My first coral I bought several days ago is yellow polyps. I did however score an awesome mushroom rock the Guy at the lfs sold as live rock. Anybody know care for these corals? I'm just now transitioning into a reef. I have a coralife t8 10000k daylight and a marineland hidden led strip with white and blue light. Is this sufficient?? Any comments welcome.

Oh here's a couple pics of the torch now under the blue leds. 20 bucks sound like a score? Hope it likes its new home!

PicsArt_1342839088583.jpg

PicsArt_1342839039102.jpg

Yea I read they can be brighter I don't really know. I do know my 10000k t8 is a lot brighter than my old 5000k t5. Plus the leds are pretty bright too. I'm concerned now that it may have that brown jelly disease which is really no good. I think it may die. Ill get a pic of it on here when I get home.

If it has the brown jelly disease try to frag it and hopefully you can save it put the frag in a different tank so it dont get sick also

I've never dragged anythink guess ill look it up. Like I said this is my 2nd coral ever and my yellow polyps are doing good. How will I frag it??

paul87 said:
I've never dragged anythink guess ill look it up. Like I said this is my 2nd coral ever and my yellow polyps are doing good. How will I frag it??

It looks like its only got one living head, in which case you cant frag it.

I had brown jelly disease on my torch. Try and siphon off as much as you can and ensure it gets good flow. I lost 6 of the 8 heads on my torch. Over the last 3 months my torch has rebounded and grown a few new heads. Good luck.

Well its screwed I guess. I syphoned the jelly out. It covered half of it and its very small. It also came out of its rock placement and went floating away. I jade no idea what to do with it it wouldn't hold back is its original rock so I stuck it in a small hole in my LR. What should I do???? Is it a lost cause or is there something I can do? PLEASE HELP!

If it came off the skeleton, it's probably a lost cause. Tucking it in the rock work is all you could try, but I doubt it will survive.
I would be wondering if your LFS saw the brown jelly, and that's why you got it for $20?!? A quick $20 for him, is way better than taking the loss. Just sayin... you really have to be careful with the LFS, until you build a relationship with them. Most that don't see you as a regular, will try to take advantage, if they are allowed.

Possibly. I am a regular there and I deal with the same Guy saltwater manager. He's real nice but who knows. It would be so awesome if it did take to that rock but I'm doubting it. It didn't look bad in the lfs before I got it but I know nothing on corals really and didn't know what to look for.

paul87 said:
Possibly. I am a regular there and I deal with the same Guy saltwater manager. He's real nice but who knows. It would be so awesome if it did take to that rock but I'm doubting it. It didn't look bad in the lfs before I got it but I know nothing on corals really and didn't know what to look for.

If that's the place you always go, then hopefully they didn't know it was sick. Seeing the other headless stalks on the coral though, makes me believe that they lost the other ones right before selling it.
Not trying to bad-mouth your LFS at all, just saying that, ultimately, all LFS are in business to make money. And as the consumer, it's our responsibility to make sure we are getting good stock for our hard earned cash.
A good thing to do when deciding what corals to stock a tank with, is to look at and read about lots of different corals. Find the ones that you like, that fit your lighting, and that are acceptable for your other stock. Look at many different pics of your favorites, so when you go looking for them at various stores, you know what nice, healthy ones look like. If you don't like the way it looks, don't buy it. With different types of corals, you'll learn what to look for, positive and negative.
Just going in to the LFS, to see what they have, and impulse buying can lead to many different problems. Compatability issues with certain fish, lighting issues, and specific feeding requirements of some corals. And after purchase, when you learn these things, your handcuffed.
Sorry to be so long-winded, but thought it was all pertinent info....hope the Torch re-attaches for you!!

Yea this is true. I appreciate it. Ill post updates on the torch. I will be amazed if it reattaches too. Thanks

Any recommendations on some easy corals to take care of? I'm looking to add some color and flourecence to my tank. Maybe some zoas or??

Zoas or Ricordia mushrooms really fluoresce under blue moonlights. Pink Ricordia especially, they get really bright under moons, yellow Rics too!
Torch look great too, and are relatively easy LPS, when they are healthy to begin with.
Yellow scroll coral as well.

t8's are not good enough light for corals. They look brighter because they are 10000k. You need at least t5 to keep corals, even the easiest ones.

Yea my torch looked awesome. I was thinking about the dragon eye zoa...I think that's what it was called. If my torch don't pull through I'm gonna have to get another. A healthy one! As far as the lights the t8 bulb was recommended to me. He said the difference was how thin the glass on the bulb was. What's the best bulb for me?? I have a single 36 inch florescent fixture and my 21 inch led strip with blue and white. It says it gad 550 lumens. Is this not sufficient??

You need about 5 watts per gallon of light. If your like me money is the prob check out the (best choice products aquarium light) on eBay. Well with it. That's what I have and I'm growing glove and colt coral. Yellow, button, and green star polyps.

paul87 said:
Yea my torch looked awesome. I was thinking about the dragon eye zoa...I think that's what it was called. If my torch don't pull through I'm gonna have to get another. A healthy one! As far as the lights the t8 bulb was recommended to me. He said the difference was how thin the glass on the bulb was. What's the best bulb for me?? I have a single 36 inch florescent fixture and my 21 inch led strip with blue and white. It says it gad 550 lumens. Is this not sufficient??

One T8 and a LED strip, probably isn't enough light for corals. I wasn't aware that's all you were running. I would look into some T5's or some more LED's.
The T rating on bulbs refers to 1/8" increments. A T8 bulb is an inch in diameter, whereas a T5 bulb is 5/8". A normal fluorescent bulb is a T12. The smaller size just allows for more bulbs to be put in a confined space, allowing for more light.

Back
Top Bottom