55 gal reef cleaner list...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
currently setting up a 55 gal reef tank that i think is near the end of its cycle...ive been looking into a list of critters to include as a cleaner group...

30 scarlet reef hermits
30 blue leg hermits
30 astraea turbo snails
20 nassarius snails
15 cerith snails
4 peppermint shrimp
3 emerald crabs

any comments/suggestions?? I think this looks like the best list ive seen so far...

"tanks" alot :D
Mike

I would not start with that many. It is a good list for a mature system but I am afraid there is not enough "clean up" for this crew to do. You can start with a few reef hermits and a couple shrimp and emeralds. they will require supplimental feedings in order to survive. Once your tank's livestock is complete and you are feeding more on a regualr basis you can add more memenr to yoru clean up crew.

i like that advice....makes sense!! Ive read up on what to start with and of course everyone you talk to has there own opinions haha

Thanks lando...
Mike

so i guess i can see why i should start off with a smaller crew at first...how does this list sound...
20 scarlet hermits
20 blue leg hermits
20 astraea turbos
10 nassarius snails

I also have the option of adding these guys for an extra $20...will these just overload the system??
10 cerith snails
3 peppermint shrimp
2 emerald crabs

Mike

You can start with a few reef hermits and a couple shrimp and emeralds. they will require supplimental feedings in order to survive.

More like 5 hermits, 5 astreas, 2 emeralds. I'd hold off a couple of weeks on the shrimp until you get the water real stable. They are sometimes more sensitive. I think turbos have bigger appetites and should wait also until after fish and algea appear on the glass. Even the 20 list above is too many IMO.

5 scarlet hermits
5 blue leg hermits
5 astraea snails
2 emerald crabs

good beginner list for a newly cycled 55 gal tank with 45 lbs select fiji premium lr??

Mike

Ditto everyones comments. Except do you have any LR or LS?

I didn't have a clean up crew for about a year in my 55gal. Yeah that was a BAD idea to wait so long (Lots of cleaning the hard way).

So I then started out with 3 Marg Snails, 3 Scarlet Hermits and one cirth snail. Gradually added up thru about 8 of each and then I had a large cleanup crew ordered.

Now I've got a full house and more snails coming. (Nass & Cerith)

i have 45 lbs lr...i just started running the lights on 12 hrs a day...i checked the water levels 3 times over the past week and a half and got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and a ph of about 8.2-8.3 every time. salt is 1.24 and and water temp holding at about 79.4 deg...

i figure ill start with that small cleanup crew...

when should i think about adding some fish/corals??

"tanks" alot
Mike

Hope you don't mind the small hijack. I noticed everyone going small on the emerald crabs. I just bought 5 of them for my 25 gallon tank. Is that too many? Do they not clean very much? 21lb LR/20lb sand/3 blue damsels.

Back
Top Bottom