55g Reef maintenance schedule..please let me know what u think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bavass

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have seen many threads on algae issues. I guess there always have been and always will be. In most cases that means high nutrients nitrate, phosphate, TDS in RO/DI and just overall maintenance. Well it got me to thinking what can I do to improve my maintenance. I thought about it and thought I would start a thread on it so in the future if anybody wants to read up on it make suggestions to me on how to improve mine or how to improve there’s. So here goes mine. Post yours or let me know what is wrong or what I can do to improve mine.

Sundayfeed fish, blow off live rock, 5-7g water change, clean brute trash can with vinegar, make up new saltwater mix for week, and new top-off water add 1 tsp of Seachem Reef Builder to top-off water, test calcium, nitrates, alk, and magnesium, add as needed, clean skimmer cup.
Monday – Inspect tank, add top-off water, check flow on Bio-pellets, add 10ml Seachem Reef Plus
Tuesday – Feed fish and corals, Inspect tank, add top-off water, clean skimmer cup
Wednesday - Inspect tank, add top-off water, test calcium, nitrates, alk, magnesium, add as needed
Thursday – add top-off water, feed fish, blow off live rock, do a 5-7g water change, add 10ml Seachem Reef Plus.
Fri and Sat. – I am out of town roommate adds top-off water, and feeds fish on Sat.

Every 2 weeks – Replace BRS Rox .08 carbon, clean light fixture
Every 6-8 months – clean all pumps, power heads, skimmer in vinegar bath
Every10-12 months – Replace HOT5 bulbs

i just do a weekly water change on friday top off daily and test once a week on friday before i do a water change

I just got tired reading that list lol. Sounds like a full time job. I also have 55 reef and I pretty much just do the same as hackteck and I'm stocked with corals. Unless your worried about the water your adding then you should not have to test for calcium, alk and all that good stuff so often. I test that stuff once a month if that but then again I add absolutely nothing to my tank because all my corals get everything they need from the water changes. Also blowing off the rock twice a week seems a little much unless you have very poor water flow in the tank. Nice list , good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom