75 gallon lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlew09

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the sight and I've been browsing and it's awesome!!!
I've been wondering about LED lights and wanted to take a look at a few good ones.
I'm wanting to have a few corals and want to get good lights and really don't know what I need. I've always just kept reef fish. Any suggestions on type of light and cheapest place to get them? Do gardening shops have the right kind?

I appreciate everyones help.

LED's aren't my strong point, but the fixture you need all depends on the type of coral you want to keep. Give us a list of what you want to keep and an answer will soon follow.

Currently I have a piece of frogspawn that is at least 6 years old that oddly does very good for hardly having any light. But I'd like to add some simple corals like star polyps or maybe a few more frogspawn types.

Well if you're set on LEDs, I'm not your guy lol. If you were open to t5's it seems like you could do a 4 or 6 lamp t5 fixture and you'd have no issues. I just put a 8 lamp fixture on my 75. I have no limitations but now that I have it on there it almost seems like overkill..it's huge lol.

But those things are completely unnecessary, and don't help any of your inhabitants...and for a whopping 1500 per pendant.....the OP will need to spend 3 grand. Not only that, but they are 180 watts each. I don't understand why so much is needed. Wasn't one of the selling points of LEDs the break on the electric bill?
No, gardening shoppes will carry LEDs that are the wrong color spectrum.
Aqua Illuminations Sol Blue are a good unit for a somewhat reasonable price.
Orphek LEds are also good, and more expensive.
Both of those can be controlled to do the silly thunderstorm thing if you like that.

Then you have the ebay fixtures. There are a few on ebay that aren't as controllable, but will feed your corals with the necessary light for them to grow. It all depends on what you want to spend.

Last edited:
It not help the inhabitants for a fact but I like that stuff. I don't mind spending money if I have it. But at 1300 a pendant and I would need atleast 2 is a bit Steep. I have a plc brain laying around and if I got some of the other circuitry I could make, and program something similar. Only thing is the casing wouldn't look as nice. The thing I like about that light is it is just a beautiful piece of equipment. It may not help inhabitants but if ur looking for something cool that is it. Also it makes the tank look the best I've seen with leds.

Back
Top Bottom