Adding new lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravior

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am going to replace my generic florescent and plastic hood with a PC to allow my LR to grow better. Also, in the future I may add coral. I was looking at a 30” PowerCompact/Moon-Lite Hood from CustomSeaLife.

Is this a good selection? Do I need a glass cover also to replace the plastic hood that I will be removing? I’m sure a glass cover would reduce evaporation and prevent anyone from jumping out.

I know nothing of the moon lite hood but I really like my coralife aqualight if you have not already made up your mind and yes you will probably need glass covers for the top of the tank..

Doan

Do I need a glass cover also to replace the plastic hood that I will be removing
Most ppl like myself run without tops to help with cooling as well as it helps the co2 dissipate out of the water easier.. I would recommend that unless you get fish prone to jumping then I would run the tank without a top..

Also, in the future I may add coral. I was looking at a 30” PowerCompact/Moon-Lite Hood from CustomSeaLife.
I am unaware of what size tank you have but if you are wanting corals down the road I would go with something a bit more light.. From the sounds of it we are talking about 1 pc bulb.. If this was a 10gal tank than that would be ok.. but it sounds like it might be a 29g with the length so I would suggest either 2 96w pcs or 4 55w pcs.. That sould do you pretty good.. Another thing is maybe a 175w MH bulb in a pendant.. That would allow you to have just about everything.. with PC light a good rule of thum is 3-5wpg but you are going to want more towards the 5wpg..

HTH<
James

Thanks for the advise.

BTW, it is a 29 gal.

The reason why I asked about the hood is not many stores online sold the glass tops. I would have though it would be easier to find if most people had them on their tanks. I'm sure if I get one, I would just get the top from my LFS.

If you do decide to go with the moonlite hood check the sponsors specials forum as I am shipping these free with an additional 6% discount! The 30" has 2 65 watt PC bulbs; this would be adequate for soft corals,polyps and moshrooms and most LPS.

You are actually better off with an open top. The lite units come with legs that raise it 3" off the tank so they should not get wet.. The glass tops will cut down the amount of light that penetratees into the tank greatly.

Back
Top Bottom