Advice For My Stocklist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KrempelJD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Need advice of what fish, if any, I can add to my 30 gallon tank.

Stock:

Paired clownfish
Canary blenny
Yellow Watchman Goby
Tiger pistol shrimp
3 red legged hermit crabs
1 emerald crab

Could I add anything else? The clowns were the last thing added so I don't think I'm worried about territorial issues.

Was thinking maybe a royal gramma.

Umm

You want to add MORE?

I'd say for a 30 you're already at capacity myself...others may disagree but I wouldn't add anything more to it.

I have a 30 gal with a pair of clowns and a royal gramma. That's it, and may add one small fish later down the road. But not sure.

I agree with the others, and look to add more inverts like a cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, several more hermit crabs (variations) and lots of snails.

I think you could add one more if you play the cards right. Maybe another bottom-dwelling fish like the yellow watchman to balance it out :) You could do inverts too like suggested.

I think you could add one more if you play the cards right. Maybe another bottom-dwelling fish like the yellow watchman to balance it out :) You could do inverts too like suggested.

I agree. I would add one more myself. :) LOL I probably would add 2 tiny fish to be totally honest. If you keep up on your water there shouldnt be any problems.

I bow down to the others comments - as I've mentioned before, I'm a paranoid lunatic and always keep my tanks vastly understocked when it comes to fish :)

I bow down to the others comments - as I've mentioned before, I'm a paranoid lunatic and always keep my tanks vastly understocked when it comes to fish :)
I could have wrote that myself lol.

When you overstock like I do you need to be a tank nazi, no doubt about it. I've been very fortunate with my tanks for the most part. Just like I said, you really have got to be on your tank if you choose to dance the line of overstocking....:-D

You are fully stocked. Stocking is about territory and has nothing to do with water changes. Fish in the ocean don’t all hide in the same rock and say “man someone better do a water change tomorrow." You could justify 15 fish if you said your gonna do a water change every other day.

People do not realize how big even small fish get. I saw a chromis recently that was almost as big as the palm of my hand and I’m 6’2”. I though for sure it was on growth hormone.
Full grown clowns are very territorial and can turn on any fish at any time. Ironically I had a set of clowns that turned on a canary blenny after being together fin for 3 months.

I keep fish that are micro fish, they are an inch or less. Clown gobies and some blennies fit the bill. i woudlnt suggest 2 more full size fish. lol I've kept 2 29g tanks, one with 4 fish that I felt was fully stocked and now a biocube that has 6 fish. I feel I am ok considering what fish I have. Everyone needs to have their own area and swim room. I kinda just assumed that part was common sense. LOL :)

Well in this case as stated in the first post we are dealing with 3 3-4” fish 2 of which can be very aggressive, a small sandbed fish, and considering another 3-4” fish in a royal gramma that can be aggressive as well. I hate when people overstock but I’ll get off the soapbox with this, I think you have a very happy healthy stocked tank. Any pics?

No reason to step down, the Op should hear all sides. :) I think it's a fine line between over or under stocking. Alot depends on the fish certainly, without a doubt. Let's take my biocube for instance, it's my most overstocked tank. I have a pair of B&W clown and a firefish for my swimming type fish. I have a yellow watchman goby who has a really nice cave and an open area in front for when he wants to perch. My citron goby hides in the back right rocks like 95% of the time perched. :)
that leaves my two dragonets, the scooter covers the sandbed and the mandarin flutters around the rocks. Not one issue with any fish other than the YWG doing the open mouthed gesture on ocassion hehe which no fish minds.

My system happens to work for me, it's fish only and I do my water changes religiously. All the fish are fat and healthy, dragonets included. :) I havent had any diseases or breakouts or deaths. Tanks been only up for 8 months or so, so time will tell but so far as is well.
If I had the Op's tank I would consider a firefish, two spot blenny maybe, a clown goby of some kind or maybe even a cardinal fish.

I happen to have some shots of my tank, its nothing special but it's clean and healthy. :-D

img_1691484_0_b67ac47cb4d9a2d82851c706e0af7695.jpg

img_1691484_1_f173bbbfe45ac18fbdeb1ffa35c4a418.jpg

img_1691484_2_820096f0b5609b92adb78b92c1f1ee73.jpg

img_1691484_3_46c1ff2230e2e53611134c26b3546d70.jpg

Sorry to sidetrack the thread but...

MAN do I wish mandarins weren't such a pain in the *** to keep. fish is bloody gorgeous.

I know right? I got lucky in that she eats frozen food but it did take a month to get her to do so. In retrospect not sure if i would have taken the gamble if I had the chance to do it again. I love her to death though, just a dickens to get to eat real food and not only pods. LOL

Back
Top Bottom