Anemone Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i first had a 20 gallon up and running and bought a bulb tipped anemone and it did great. then i converted my 20 to a 65 with better more intense lighting and now my anemone is doing very poorly. it totally bleached, all the tenticles/arms fell off and it keeps getting smaller and smaller. this has been happening for about 2 months now. i've tried placing it in different parts of the tank and feeding it directly but nothing seems to work. well now just the yesterday it seperated into two. is this possible because i thought they had to be healthy to reproduce. i'm so confused. can somebody help?

Absolutely, if it were in poor health it would not split, it would shrink and possibly die. Congratulations on your new arrival. I just had a long tentacle anenome split, Dean at my LFS, Slice of Nature in Vandalia, Il. saaid he has never seen a LTA split before. It is really cool.

I just had a long tentacle anenome split, Dean at my LFS, Slice of Nature in Vandalia, Il. saaid he has never seen a LTA split before. It is really cool.
This has never been documented to my knowledge. Can you post pics? I won't believe an LT split in an aquarium unless I see it. I know LT's reproduce sexually by through the release of sperm or eggs. My LT is a male which had a reproductive episode a couple years ago. To reproduce assexually as not impossible, just undocumented for this species. Entacmaea quadricolor is known to do this. Are you sure of the identification? Check these pics of L. LeClaire's splitting anemone http://bio.fsu.edu/~leclaire/splitgal.html

Just a clarification. BTAs split for two reasons.

The obvious reason is they grow too large to sustain themselves and must split (this is either genetic or environmental - you can decide). This happens at about 8 to 12+ inches diameter.

The other is poor health. In an attempt to sustain itself the anemone will split. The split is done in the hopes that at least one piece of the anemone will get away to a more a suitable environment.

Your anemone has most likely split because it is unhealthy. The most probable cause (IMO) is lack of suitable overhangs or lack of suitable light. The best bet is to feed it however and whenever you can. What lighting are you using? What are your water parameters (pH, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia, particularly)?

I'd also recommend you don't touch the anemone much. Leave it alone. They are quite capable of moving to locations that are satisfactory (if you have them) as long as they are attached to something.

Good luck.

Thats good to know, and welcome to AA, i noticed that was your 3rd posts, sounds to me you are very knowledgeable, always good to have you

jupiter said:
The other is poor health.

This should read: The other is stress.

d9hp said:
Thats good to know, and welcome to AA, i noticed that was your 3rd posts, sounds to me you are very knowledgeable, always good to have you

Thanks for the welcome. I visit occasionally but I haven't said much :)

Anenomeman, I will attempt to get pic's posted of the anenome that split. It was sold to me as a Long tentacle, but after viewing your link, it may be a bubble tip. I just am not certain. When the pic's post (hopefully in the next couple of days) perhaps you can definitely ID it. My anenome was only about 7" round when it split and the 2 seperated ones are still only about silver dollar size now. is this normal?

my lighting is a 250 watt mh and the anemone is right under it so i know thats not the problem. and all the parameters are fine. ammonia 0 nitrates 0 ph 8.2

Back
Top Bottom