ANEMONE shrivled up??!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonez

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a green carpet anemone about 2 days ago, I fed it, it ate...fast - like it was hungy...is it normal for them to shrivel up to nearly nothing a day or two after feeding? if so , why? :x I'm concerned.

WaterPond said:
how about some tank specs and water test readings.

Everytime I post here, no offense, it is under assumption every water parameter is perfect, which it is at the time of this post. That was the first thing I did after I noticed what was happening. I do PWC every week religeously - ample lighting - flawless water conditions. Just curious about the anemones behavior, it may be perfectly normal, im new to owning an anemone. It is in a 40g tank with 10 gal sump. 2 clowns. prestine water.

Some questions-
How long did you acclimate it? How long has your tank been setup? What lights do you have?

It's probably just shriveled up because you fed it. Since there's one way in and out, anemones will shrivel up from time to time to expell wastes, some will shrivel up 2 or 3 times a week and others will shrivel up once every two weeks just depends. If it's not fully expanded in a day then I'd be worried. But that's something you should of read about when you were researching before buying, especially something hard to keep like a carpet anemone.

Lance M. said:
Some questions-
How long did you acclimate it? How long has your tank been setup? What lights do you have?

It's probably just shriveled up because you fed it. Since there's one way in and out, anemones will shrivel up from time to time to expell wastes, some will shrivel up 2 or 3 times a week and others will shrivel up once every two weeks just depends. If it's not fully expanded in a day then I'd be worried. But that's something you should of read about when you were researching before buying, especially something hard to keep like a carpet anemone.

I acclimated it for about an hour...I have MH lights in an 10" 40 gallon square with overflow/sump. My clowns tackled it within 2 hours of it being released into the tank. I had tried to situate it by hand on a rock in the center of the tank, but fearing I'd injure it (it was sticking to my hands like tape) I held it in a mediocre spot for about a minute... it then slowly situated itself overnight to a firm base. I fed it, it ate - super fast, expelled the waste, and maybe an hour or two after expelling the waste has shriveled up to maybe 1/3 of its open size. I figured it may be normal due to the crazy lighting and prestine water conditions I have. The research on lighting and maintaining perfect water cond. led me to believe I could throw one of the "easier" anemones in my tank. Either I'm wrong or the anemone is reacting naturally.

PS. I have my air conditioner in my home set to 78 degrees. I have my tank heater set to 78 degrees, I have this tank underneath a very spacious window that receives direct sunlight 8 hours a day. I'm assuming this would help more than hinder. any suggestions?

It's probably fine. You should of maybe waited a couple days to let it acclimate to the tank before feeding it, but it sounds like it's just acting accordingly.

Sitting next to a window is probably more of a bad thing that a good thing, but not much to worry about. The main reasons why not to put your aquarium next to a window is heat transference and the indirect sunlight, which can cause unwanted algae to grow. The ideal place for a tank would be in an inner part of your home.

Edit: Also the fact that it was very sticky when you bought it tells you that it is healthy.

Lance M. said:
It's probably fine. You should of maybe waited a couple days to let it acclimate to the tank before feeding it, but it sounds like it's just acting accordingly.

Sitting next to a window is probably more of a bad thing that a good thing, but not much to worry about. The main reasons why not to put your aquarium next to a window is heat transference and the indirect sunlight, which can cause unwanted algae to grow. The ideal place for a tank would be in an inner part of your home.

Edit: Also the fact that it was very sticky when you bought it tells you that it is healthy.

The anemone at the LFS was acutally attached, which I read was a good thing, even though it's shriveled, its still sticking like mad... so it may be okay, or it may be declining, I just hope it's more of a natural response than not.

The biggest question I have is how long has your tank been set up? What exactly are your water params? Carpet anemones are very difficult to keep. I know I have one. When you acclimated the anemone 2 hours would have been better but an hour will do. Also unless your lighting is very similar to the lighting it came from then you need to acclimate it to your lighting meaning you will need to reduce your photo period for a week or more increasing the number of hours each day.

Having your tank under a window is not a good idea. As was stated sunlight on an aquarium will cause algae to grow not to mention the temp swings from the added heat and in the winter lack of heat.

Also I suggest not feeding the anemone, the energy required to digest the food you give it cost more then what it will get from it. The anemone will get most of the "food" it needs from the lighting. With MHs you wont need to target feed it. If your clowns have taken to it then they will take care of getting food to it, small amounts of food.

Also just a bit of info on your new purchase, it will get WAY too big for your tank easily getting to well over 18" across when fully expanded.

Back
Top Bottom