Another source of nitrate - CSS skimmer bubble trap box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My CSS skimmer started going mad tonight, overflowing all over.

Well, the bubble trap box had become blocked up badly. I'd been putting off cleaning it for about a week because a nudibranch had moved in (still waiting for a positive ID over in that forum category). I gave up waiting on him after the small flood tonight. Luckily, he had moved up to the output hose on the skimmer, so I was able to pull that off and set it in the fuge, where I coaxed him into moving to the glass (without touching him).

Anyway.

The filter pad and the sponge in the bubble trap box were awful. Took 5 minutes of rinsing under a heavy stream of water, and I was still getting brown stuff out when I squeezed it. I gave up. I re-attached the output hose to the skimmer, and fired it up without the bubble trap.

Guess what? No more bubbles than before. I guess once these things are broke in, its not a big deal. I do have baffles setup as a bubble trap in my sump, so I'm sure that's helping, but the box apparently was doing nothing for me, except to clog occasionally and making the skimmer overflow.

I'm positive there was enough crud in that sponge and filter pad in the bubble box that it was contributing to my constant nitrates levels I'd struggled with in the past.

I know people have created mods to avoid the use of CSS bubble trap boxes, but has anyone just ran without one at all?

When I first isntalled the CSS, the bubbles were overwhelming, the bubble box worked wonders. Never thought about removing it after I built the sump/fuge.

IME, my sponges were nitrate factories. I removed all of mine, in my canister.

I haven't been able to clean my bubble box for a couple weeks, cause an unidentified nudibranch setup home in there and wouldn't come out. Right on top of the big sponge inside it.

Reading that they could release toxins if disturbed, I was afraid to mess with him ;)

Only if you don't clean them often

I agree, now I don't ever have to clean them and there are no problems in my tank.

Only if you don't clean them often

I agree, now I don't ever have to clean them and there are no problems in my tank.

Reading that they could release toxins if disturbed, I was afraid to mess with him

I think I put this in another post. I believe, if the nudi eats something that is toxic, they will expell that same toxin. If they don't eat toxins, you should be ok.

I don't think any nudi's release toxic at all. Cucumbers do but nudi's don't

I believe I read an article that a person smushed his nudi and ended up in the hospital, due to the toxins. You could be right, there are some cukes that are poisonous.

Back
Top Bottom