Anybody know if it is ok to sand glass??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I went today and got glass cut for my sump. I got the peices cut 12inches in length b/c that is how wide the tank is. Well of course now they wont go in straight. I was wondering if I could sand with some sand paper a little off the ends so I can get the pieces in place, or what should I do???

JASON

you can but you are going to be sanding it for a long time and you run the risk of cracking the glass. just put in the pieces diagonally and say you planned it that way ;)

Grim, Will the pieces hold up and be stable in diagonal? I figured you wanted a tight of fit as possible.
Jason

It can work diagonally, however the load would be better distributed and more easily sealed with 90 degree corner edges.

Did you get the glass cut at a glass shop? Have you asked them to trim the edges to fit straight?

that is called seaming the edges
the best thing i think ti do is take the completed tank to a glass shop and have them seam the edges for you shouldnt cost more than 10 bucks

i had them replace a glass top for me i broke in transit was only 15 bucks for the glass top with seamed edges
now i gotta find some stick on handles

Back
Top Bottom