Appropriate Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok for the last several months, since I've added a Florida Condi Anemone and Green Star Polyps my only source of lighting has been natural sunlight, and a stock 15 florescent bulb, however I think my anemone is slipping (he anchored himself in a different spot, and hasn't done well since)

It pains me to say this, but I have no experience with lighting, I'd like to get something that will support these two guys, and maybe in the future some simple leathers.

I don't want anything too fancy (lighting or coral wise), what would you guys recommend?

It not surprising to hear the Condy is not doing well. They need fairly high light levels. I would recommend a VHO or T-5 fluorescent set up. They have great color, are generally moderately priced, don't produce too much heat, and can support a wide variety of animals. A general rule of thumb is 3-5 wpg, although it can vary depending on the type of lighting, etc. You will need to be on the higher end of the scale to properly support an anemone.
If you have a canopy, can DIY a canopy (it's not too hard or expensive) or can suspend the lighting above the tank some other way, retro-kits are probably the lowest priced option. Take a look at these for some ideas-

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=8

As far as the Condy goes, what are your water params? Do you target feed it? If so what and how often?

MT79 said:
It not surprising to hear the Condy is not doing well. They need fairly high light levels. I would recommend a VHO or T-5 fluorescent set up.

I agree also. You`ll need at least these set ups that Mike and Lindsay are talking about. You`ll have some serious problems with your condy if you dont.

I had a condy for a while, lighting is important but one other thing to keep in mind is they like to move around so be prepared for yours to travel when you get your lighting right. I took mine back because of this. Started stinging other corals.

I'd go this route if a standard 20g (in your profile):

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/24_inch__4x24W_SLR_T5_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

Sorry, but it's not allowing me to hot-link such a long address and for some reason linking just part of the text...go figure. Feel free to copy/paste :p

Back
Top Bottom