aquarium livestock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acw90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so i have two questions... 1st im 100 percent comfortable with adding more live stock to my 29gal, this morning i had a scare because my chromis had died and my salinity was higher than i expected... i took a sample of water to my lfs and every thing was perfect and reading 0 except formy ph which was perfectly at 8.0 so the water didnt kill him.. but i did notice he was beaten up pretty bad so my guess is it was my damsel because shes a diva and doesnt want anyone around the rocks in my tank unless its her... so i know step one is add more rock and more hiding places.. theres no where near enough because i only have 3 lbs of lr but after i add a sufficient amount of rock i would like to get going with live stock... my fiance has to have a nemo and a royal gama,would those be okay with a blue damsel and a three stripe? The three stripe is not aggresive at all any suggestions on any neat inverts?

Next question is for fun... and for me to steal some ideas... if you have a 29 what does your live stock list look like?

With only 3lbs of LR in your tank, take it out and then catch the damsel and take him back to the LFS. They are called devil fish for a reason, and in a small tank, they will do nothing but cause problems. GET IT OUT. :)

Live rock at least 30 pounds. Unless it's fully cured and carefully moved you'll have a cycle. A pair of clowns, a Blenny or a goby would be my suggestions.

For inverts if you have at least a one inch sand bed Nassarius Snails come out at feeding tine and stir up the sand. Skunk Cleaner shrimp will be easy to see as they don't hide unless under attack. They'll even clean your hand!

My 29 gallon was a Mandarin tank for a few years, now it's a refugium. Currently it's housing a Sea Hare and Nassarius Snails

With only 3lbs of LR in your tank, take it out and then catch the damsel and take him back to the LFS. They are called devil fish for a reason, and in a small tank, they will do nothing but cause problems. GET IT OUT. :)

+1 to that

In my 29 I have 2 occ clowns, 1 black and one orange, a midas blenny and a coral beauty. They all seem happy and healthy. I also have 2 cleaner shrimp 1 fire shrimp and a conch. Then there is the coral. 29 is a good size but I am hooked and want more, this hobby is crazy addictive.

Blennys are really entertaining, I would look into comparability and if it is a fit I would get one for sure.

yea i have been contemplating taking her back from sometime but i was kind of hoping that she would just chill out after i finished adding rock... I think i may just go with 10 more lbs of live rock and then 15 or 20 lbs of dry rock to curve the 2nd cycling issue. I have always liked the lawn mower blennies they seem like they are little characters... im just worried my tank wont have enough hair algae... and is two clowns safe for a 29 i heard they are territorial and will beat each other up

Your ph is a bit low maybe you should try raising it to 8.2 :)

8.0 is fine, 8.0-8.2, people have 8.0 and start to add buffers and really screw their parameters up, keep it simple and just do mainteance and wc, in the winter my ph drops to 7.8 with nems in a mixed refer, no problems, 8 is fine, now go do a water change :)

yea i have been contemplating taking her back from sometime but i was kind of hoping that she would just chill out after i finished adding rock... I think i may just go with 10 more lbs of live rock and then 15 or 20 lbs of dry rock to curve the 2nd cycling issue. I have always liked the lawn mower blennies they seem like they are little characters... im just worried my tank wont have enough hair algae... and is two clowns safe for a 29 i heard they are territorial and will beat each other up

Yeah feeding the lawn mower blenny could be a bit tough. My midas eats anything, I feed flake, pellet, nori and mysis. The clowns are fine with each other. I didn't even add them at the same time. Two of the same species is ok in a 29, they may fight a bit but they should pair up and be inseparable. That is my hope anyway, they don't really care for each other yet.

Back
Top Bottom