Aquatic Lighting Systems $75 metal halide kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOW! I dont know.......If it seems to good, then it usually is, but looks like it might be worth a try.

I ordered these and they never shipped which by the way was them doing me a favor. They are magnetic balasts,noisy and if you add it up by the time you upgrade to the bulb you will need your right up their close to what you you can buy a retro kit from captivereefs which is what I did. IMO you will be better off spending a dew more dollars and getting something that will last a long time and has a company that will stand behind them,

Make sure you are adding in the fact that you will definitely need the upgrade to the 12,000k bulb and it does not include the wire you will need to get to wire the ballast to the socket. Your ballast will probably be remote located to keep the heat out of your canopy so you will need a small box of wire from Lowes or Home Depot. But even so that does sound like a good deal. However if you plan to diy you may be able to get as good a deal at the lfs. We got ours at Austin Aquariums. We got: 2ea 250w mh ballasts, 2ea 10,000k bulbs, 2ea reflectors, 2ea mogul sockets. We paid 350 total plus wire that we had at the house and a plug. You just have to ask them how much they can get it for you in pieces not as a set.

Not worth it IMO....look at the bulb you are getting and how much it costs to upgrade. If you trying to do MH cheap I think you'd be better of checking out the for sale forums and pick up a nice used kit.

Yes I was considering the captivereefs $190 kit also. It would give me a reflector, electronic ballast, 10000k bulb, and extra 75 watts as I would probably go with the 250w kit. You know what, I think it's starting to add up, the extra $90 for captivereefs kit is probably the better deal (and definately the better components) by far! 8)

yep it't not that great of a deal. unless you get a $30 10000k bulb at insidesun.com and a reflector for $20 :wink:
You'll end up with $125 and that's not bad.

Yea, it is a tough call. If you do a search (top of page) for aquaticlight, you find that several people are bought the kit and switched to 10000k and are happy with it. Seems a little risky though. Thumper- what happened to your order?

Also thumper, how do you like the captivreefs kit? Coralvue I think? How is the bulb life and what temp did you get?

Not to hijack or anything but the bulb on the coralvue kit can be subbed for a 14K or 20K.

They just never shipped me the lights, not for sure what really happened but they never charged my card either., On the Coralvue lights their a nice set up other than 2 of the bulbs are getting a build up of brown gunk on the inside bottoms like something is melting off from inside the bulbs. I'll see how that goes but as far as the kits go their first class, I think i may have just got a couple bad bulbs but I'll keep you posted.

A little browning of the filament is normal. The bulbs have a 30 day manufacturer warranty so you may want to inquire with dave at coralvue if you have any concerns.

Do you have a number. One of the three is pretty bad while te second in minimal and the third perfectly clear.

Contact Us:

Vue Technology LLC

Phone: (504)305-3246
Fax: (504)305-3246

//taken from their website...

coralvue is a name brand and stands behind there product. There stuff did have some problems awhile ago but have since been re engineered and are very dependable. I would not sell them if they were not.

Do you realize that most of the lights we use come from the pacific rim. Even some that claim to be german or japanese!

I'm not knocking Coralvue by no no means. I love them, Just curious as to the bulbs. I'm going to call then right now and I'll let you know the results.

Back
Top Bottom