Are my params good for coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Alright, thom suggested i post my FULL params from both the saltwater test kit and the reef master test kit. So here i am, doing that.

My Zoas aren't lookin so hot, and now my xenias don't want to open up at all. My hammer is doing good, as well as my GSP's and green and pink birdsnest. All of their polyps are open and looking good. Just the Zoas and Pumping Xenias that don't look too good.

------------------------------
SG: 1.025
pH: 7.9-8.0 (The color is in between 7.8 and 8.0, like it has been forever.)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Phosphates: 0.5ppm
Nitrates: 10-15ppm
Calcium: 480ppm
KH: 9
------------------------------

So there you have it. All my params.

What do you guys think? Why are my Xenias and Zoas illin? xD

Your params look okay. Phosphate may be a little high, though.

Where are your zoas and xenia? low in the tank? low or high flow? What type of lighting do you have?

Really? That's high for phosphates? Wow.

My Zoas are sortof near the bottom, but im going to put them on the sand tomorrow. My Xenia are in the middle of the tank. Zoas have medium flow, and Xenia have low to medium flow. I have the 48" Nova Extreme Pro fixture. Something like 324watts or something.

Really? That's high for phosphates? Wow.

Let's put it this way...

I think many folks would consider 0.03 ppm high for phosphates. And yeah... I got the decimal point in the right place.

What test kit are you using for Phosphates and what is the lowest measurement you can get with it? Salifert test kits will measure down to 0.03 as the lowest color change. Most salt mixes will have 0.01 to 0.1 ppm phosphates in it to start with, but 0.5ppm is pretty darn high. Not sure if that's the problem why your other corals aren't effected, but there's still a ton I don't understand about this hobby!

Are you running any phosphate remover (Granulated Ferric Oxide) in your system anywhere? Might not be bad to throw a bag of it in a low flow area somewhere.

Another thought... are you adding anything else to your water? Any "coral boosters" or "amino" or anything like that? Using PurpleUp or dosing Iodine at all?

Honestly, to me it sounds like you have them places in the wrong places. I would do a little research and a little asking around on the forum where they should be placed in the tank. Because it sounds like they need less light.

Your PH is not a killer but do me a favor and test your PH about an hour before the lights go out.

I don't add anything to my water at all. Just the salt mix. It's ro/di water too. Etunes, i did do a lot of research on each of my corals and i placed them accordingly. I do not think that's the problem. Melosu, i will check the pH before i shut my lights. To be honest tho, about the phosphate.. its a lighter color than whats actually on the card. I think that it just looks like that color, but its way lighter than most of the colors to the bottom that read .02ppm.. so im not sre if i do have phosphates. In the event that i do.. what would be the reason that i have phosphates? How do they get in my water. I also have a huge amount of chaeto in my tank..

Back
Top Bottom