Best thing to do for newly aquired bleached coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got a softball sized brain coral at work for real cheap becasue it was mostly bleached. It's not 100% bleached so I"m noping it can recover. The center is blecahed worse than the edges and there doesn't appear to be any tissue damage. Should I do anything special for this coral? I"m assuming high flow and keep it out of bright light for a few days/weeks?

jamal-188 said:
Should I do anything special for this coral? I"m assuming high flow and keep it out of bright light for a few days/weeks?
You might want to target feed it about once a week to be sure it's getting some nutrition. Most if not all it's food production primarily comes from zooxanthellae so without that it will not fair well until it colors up some.

I would ease it into the brighter light as you've indicated but not high water flow. They prefer med-low flow, too much flow will cause tissue recession.

Cheers
Steve

Sounds good, thanks for the help as usual!

I thought maybe higher flow would be better to rid it of excess mucus but I guess after the initial transport to my tank it shouldn't slime much more, so the flow you recomended sounds good! I hope I can save this guys life :wink:

Definately bleaching but overall the coral does not look like it's in too bad a shape. Provided the water specs are good and it doesn't get too much direct MH lighting, it may very well recover.

Any sign of a feeding response at night?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom