Bought a flame scallop, But........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briandh76

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I headed down to the LFS just to see what they had. I didn't plan on buying just browsing. I seen they had some flame scallops and they was on sale for $10, so I bought one. Got him did a drip acclimation on him and watched him scoot around the tank untill settling in a crevis in the live rock. I got up the this morning and now I cannot find him!!! Will they bury themselves under the sand or do you think he may have become a victim?

75-gal
1-Yellow tang
1-clown
1-mandrin
2-sand stars
1 purple lobster
1-black brittle star
1-sea cucumber
hermits,snails, and a sally lightfoot.

How much live rock do you have??? I have things disappear all the time in the LR and reappear days or weeks later.

I'v got about 75 lbs lr now. Never thought of looking under the rocks. I'll have to check them out. Also is it true thqat those are easy to care for? The guy at the LFS said that they are easy to care for. I have some marine snow to feed him and my feather duster with.

The guy at the lfs either didnt know what he was talking about, or just plain lied. Not flaming you at all. They have a very low survivability rate. Usually after a few months they die. I had 2 come on LR from the lfs and 2 came with a set up that a guy was selling and they have all sinced perished. I even target fed thm very often.

Also they will hide really well in the rocks..........

Good luck... :wink:

Their lifespans are short ( 2 years) in the wild. Who knows how old they are when the arrive at the LFS?

They are filter feeders so you might want to pick up some phytoplankton.

They will swim around in the tank and wedge themselves into the live rock.

You will have to target feed them probably 3 times a week, and make sure you have very good water quality.

Back
Top Bottom