Broccoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just a small reminder to those of us that use Nori for our tangs and other veggiesaurosus......stick broccoli in there once in awhile, mine seem to love it.

Three tangs and a foxface are going after it like a cajun at a crawfish boil!

they eat the little green round balls of the florets, not the stalk....that is not hard.

they eat the little green round balls of the florets, not the stalk....that is not hard.

Is it common for flame angels not to eat nori? Our tang can't get enough of it but the angel doesn't touch it. Maybe he would like the broccoli? (he's eating well, just not the nori)

My flame angel ate nori, just not as much as tang does, but it did dash for it when I clip the nori in. I tried red ones, they don't seems to like it, but they loves the green ones. :D

Six-Line said:
Is broccoli healthy for them>? Or is like lettuce?

I was also wondering this. I've heard people suggest that feeding these people foods is not such a good idea. I don't remember exactly why people suggested this...other than the fact that some foods such as lettuce have no nutricional value. Any other reason why people might warn against feeding this....possibly pesticides?

excerpt from the Florida Food Fair site:

Broccoli is an excellent source of vitamins A and C and also riboflavin, calcium and iron. One cup of chopped broccoli contains approximately 24.6 calories, 2.6 g dietary fiber, 42 mg calcium, 286 mg potassium and no cholesterol. It also yields 82 mg vitamin C, 62 mcg folate, 1356.9 IU vitamin A

Any other reason why people might warn against feeding this....possibly pesticides?

I would expect that a thorough washing first would cure this problem, if there was a problem with it.

Wow cool, I will most definantely try it. I see it has lots of Vit C always a plus with tangs.

Sounds good, think I'll try some tomorrow. My fish(tangs especially) go crazy when I have nori in the tank. My little blue dot puffer even eats it :lol:

I was reef-raised during the time that everyone was suggesting Romain lettus. It has nutritional value to it and is way better than iceberg. The, I was converted by those encouraging foods native to their environment. While it may be rich in vitamins, and may be much cheaper...I think I would have to stick with the Sea Veggies I currently feed the Herbivores in my tank.

that is the wonderful thing about this hobby.....there is more than one
"right" way to do things.

I've read before that vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli, etc. can not break down properly in a fishes digestive system. Don't know if this is true or just a way to sell more dry seaweed, but i thought i would throw that out there.

Back
Top Bottom