Broken Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday my dads corallife 18watt UV sterilizer was leaking. I came home tonight and water was all under my 28gallon and 125gal. Being that he didn't fix it, I broke it down and looked at it. To make a long story short, after putting it back together I started to clean my pops tank because he doesnt. I was using one of those magnets that stick to the tank and must have hit the thermometer and it broke. I scooped what i saw of the lil balls from the thermometer and then vacummed. Then did a 18 gallon water change. I also added ammonia and carbon to the caninster filter. Is there anything else I can do, is there no hope for his tank.

Thermometers don't use mercury any longer so the probabaility of poisoning the tank is minimal. Most use organic liquids (albeit caustic) these days and the amounts shouldn't impact the tank much if at all. There is the chance of metal poisoning from whatever metal was used as the weight in the thermometer. Do a few more water changes, swap out the carbon for new every few days and be sure you got out all the remnants of the thermometer. At worst you might be in for a nasty algae bloom.

Any inverts or fish showing signs of distress?

Cheers
Steve

As of this morning, everyone looked fine. I will do another small water change tonight and vacuum the area again. I freaked out last night because I thought the thermometer had mercury then read posts on this site and saw that it was probably lead. I mean my pap does not take care of his tank but I would never wish what happened last night on any tank or any fish. But let it be know that the seals on the coral life uv sterilizer went I have not had this issue with my Rainbow lifeguard uv sterilizer

Back
Top Bottom